Definition of trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of trolling

I got into a debate/discussion with a buddy at work today about if I am actually considered to be trolling when kayak trolling. I mentioned I hadn't gotten around to crushing the barbs on my bucktails yet and plan to go fish tomorrow morning. He was insistent that I can't troll because I don't have an engine, therefore the requirement to use barbless hooks while trolling didn't apply. Interestingly enough MD DNR website says:

"Trolling"*means the method of angling in which fish are attracted to a lure or bait being trailed from a boat which is being moved by mechanical power.

After reading that I'd argue my boat is not "being moved by mechanical power". Who knows what pedal kayaks would fall under. Whats your take on it??

Also, if the wind isn't too bad in the morning I was thinking of launching at Drury's marina on St Jerome's Creek if anyone is interested.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Quote from linked article:

"...the simple act of dipping your paddle into the water is actually a highly complex mechanical action involving fluid dynamics, turbulence, drag, and a lost more."

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2015/07/23/t...ng-and-rowing/
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A DNR police officer could interpret kayak propulsion by either paddling or pedaling as a mechanical process. To avoid the controversy, go ahead and crush your barbs for the next two weeks. I crush my barbs year-round and don't notice any reduction in catching.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As mentioned on here before, preventing a trip to the hospital next time I catch myself with a hook is probably an even bigger motivation to crush barbs.

Looks like the wind will be blowing 20 mph tomorrow morning so I'll be staying on dry land...

Comment

For catch and release, barbless is the only way to go. The barbs are rough on the fish and sometimes a pain to deal with when removing. I question how much they really help anyway. If a striper is taking a lure while trolling, chances are they are taking it aggressively and going to set the hook well, barb or not.

Comment

This is coppied directly from the angler handbook for this year on page 14. You better crush those barbs.

TROLLING
            The method of angling during which fish are
            attracted to a lure or bait being trailed from
            a boat which is moving forward or backward
            by mechanical, manual, or wind power.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Perfect! Do you have a link to that handbook?

Comment

Originally posted by fsuhansell View Post
                Perfect! Do you have a link to that handbook?

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...g-definitions/
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Yea, your buddy from work is wrong. You are trolling from your kayak.

Comment

Working...
                  X