Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patapsco 4/13/16 - Skunked Again. Anybody catching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco 4/13/16 - Skunked Again. Anybody catching?

I went out Sunday from about 1030 - 1. Headed toward Fort Armistead and the warm water discharges. I saw another guy fishing from a kayak so we started talking - to my surprise he wasn't a SnaggedLiner, but we fished together for a while (around getting stopped by DNR. Side note - I've now been stopped by DNR 3 times in about a 4-week span. Be sure to have your license and whistle on you, guys & gals! Fella I was fishing with got a written warning for no whistle).

Anyway, I had a couple hits, but no hook ups. We paddled over toward Stoney Creek and saw three more kayaks fishing. One guy who had a trolling motor said that he had caught 4 between about 18-20", but the other two kayakers I talked to had been skunked too.

My new friend and I paddled all the way out to the White Rocks, trolling all the way to no avail. Went around them and that's when the wind started kicking up something fierce (because hey, an entire day without wind? Don't be ridiculous). Fortunately, it was pushing us back home. I called it a day after that. It was the first time I'd been skunked on the kayak in a few months.

Today I went out again, and though wind and weather apps said 5 knot winds or less, it was really rough out there. Again. Fished for a couple hours without getting a hit. Throw in a few times I've been casting from shore in a spot I'd previously been doing well where the bite has suddenly stopped, and I'm in a heck of a dry spell. No fish in almost two weeks.

So is anybody catching them in this area? The water has been stupid rough pretty much every day for at least 2-3 weeks, so it's very stirred up and cloudy. I'm thinking that might have something to do with it, but I may be grasping at straws.

I probably just needed to vent a bit - between the unexpected rough water and nothing biting, it was a pretty miserable trip today!
    2018 Hobie Compass

Hey! I've been getting out quite a lot during the week days here lately and have been just fishing ft armistead and the bridge. I've had quite some luck getting into some schoolies (all 18-24 inch range) near the tug boat wreck and pilland 2-3 of the bridge.

-tight lines!-
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

I put in at Ft. Armistead yesterday, as well. Caught one 17 1/2" fish around noon next to one of the pilings on the far side of the bridge in several hours of effort.
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

same here in Annapolis I had been crushing some big bites until about 10 days ago, biggest difference I can see from my logs are water was 54 to 55 deg F 2 weeks ago and I was catching 20 fish an hour some over 30". last week fished the same spots all day and only caught 1 18 incher; water temp 49 to 50 deg F. I'm going out tomorrow at 0 dark 30 and ill cruise the usually and hope to find warmer water.

Comment

I went out again yesterday for 4 hours - one fish. Hey, at least the water was nice!

Temps are about 55-57. I have no idea where the fish went. I was thinking about going out at high tide today, but the wind kicked up and it looks like the ocean out there right now. Was glass when I was walking my dogs this AM. Hopefully it dies down.
          2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
          X