Newtone Neck State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newtone Neck State Park

While I’m recovering from shoulder replacement surgery I’ve been exploring some of the launches in St Mary’s that I don’t use frequently. Today I swung by Newtone Neck State Park which is a peninsula surrounded by Brenton Bay and St Clements Bay with frontage on the Potomac. The park had been closed for several years while they cleaned up World War II explosives that were scattered around the park from its days as a testing ground. It reopened last year but remains in a fairly primitive condition with little more than a couple of parking lots and a port-a-potty as improvements. At some point I believe the park will build a formal kayak launch on the St Clements bay side, but in the meantime there are two viable launch locations. The first is just as you enter the park and it has a nice sized parking lot with a short level carry of about 50 feet to a gravel bar with a small drop to the water. This puts you into a cove off Brenton Bay. The other launch is at the very end of the road and will put you directly into the Potomac. This launch is more involved with a level carry of about 200’ from the lot to a sloping drop of 5 or 6 ‘ on a sandy/gravel edge to get to the water. There are interesting rip rap walls visible and the entrances to the two bays is a short paddle/peddle in either direction. Right now there is no entrance fee to use the park and it appears to get very light visitation.

001.jpg
    Brenton Bay Launch bar

002.jpg
    Drop Off at Brenton

003.jpg
    Brenton parking lot

004.jpg
    Drop/launch into the Potomac

005.jpg
    Carry past the house
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Thanks Big Mike for exploring and giving the SoMo crew another launch option. This looks like a nice quiet spot.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

+1 for the SoMo crew! Can't wait to get out on the water again with you guys this year.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, that looks like a neat spot. I will definitely be trying that location later this year

Comment

We hate breton bay for fishing....but the house launch looks good. I have a buddy who launches his touring boat there
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I was just talking to someone on thursday about this location.
            I will launch there later this year.

Comment

Working...
            X