Opening Trophy Weekend on the Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Trophy Weekend on the Yak

Launched out of Beverley Triton on Sunday, Paddled out 2 miles to the south West to fish a Plateau that normally holds a lot of Spot,croaker, and striper. On my way there I hooked a decent 23" striper and on the way back I hooked something rather large...Much larger than the 23". I was using barbless hooks and as soon as some slack got in the line it must of been spit out. I ran into some other schoolies that were in the 18-20 inch range but nothing surprising. There were about 5 other Kayaks there throughout the day. 3 in which launched at the same time as me (7am).

Let me know how you all did! I would love to know !

in23o.jpg
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Zbennett,

I was was one of those 7am launchers.

Finished the day with a dozen catches, and like you, a few that spit the hook. 90% of the fish were all in the same size range (21"); not keepers, but fun to catch anyways.
    Attached Files
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I was out there on Sunday as well. Caught 0 fish. I did have 1 hit but I really need to replace my braided line on that rod, it just simply snapped up at the top of the last rod guide, and I lost a 10$ lure and possibly that fish too. I've only been out 2 times thus far, but driving for 1.5 hours each way, then paddling for 4+ hours with 0 fish to show for it, is growing quite tiresome. Definitely need to work on my technique.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        I was out there on Sunday as well. Caught 0 fish. I did have 1 hit but I really need to replace my braided line on that rod, it just simply snapped up at the top of the last rod guide, and I lost a 10$ lure and possibly that fish too. I've only been out 2 times thus far, but driving for 1.5 hours each way, then paddling for 4+ hours with 0 fish to show for it, is growing quite tiresome. Definitely need to work on my technique.
        Before you replace your braided line, check your rod guide(s). Make sure the ceramic inside the rod guide is not nicked, cracked, or missing all together. A good tip is to take a cotton ball and rub it inside the guides; if any of the cotton ball stays behind or gets hung up, replace that rod guide. The rubbing of the braid on bare metal of the guide will sheer the braid (even brand new braid). I speak from experience.
        Last edited by baitball; 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM. Reason: added a tip
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Keep at it. I was the same way when I first started a couple of years ago. 1 hour plus drive to get there, fish for 4 hours, and nothing to show. Then it just started clicking after a while. I still don't catch as many as a lot of the guys on here, but I catch my fair share. You'll catch a few, learn some good areas and gain confidence and you'll get much more efficient with your gear.

Comment

Working...
            X