Rose Haven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Haven

Launched out of Rose Haven three times in the past week, all early morning, and fished for 3-4hrs each time. Give or take - and no exaggeration - I've caught around a hundred rockfish in that period. This morning from 6am-9am was the pick of the bunch, with 40-50 fish. Biggest was 26", a handful around 20-22" and lots in the 15-20" range. Earlier in the week, 23" was the biggest and again lots in the 15-20" range. The fish weren't where I expected them but this is only my 2nd year fishing the Bay so I'm still way down the learning curve for saltwater. All were caught on 3/8oz spro bucktail with white or gray saltwater assassin. Once I found the fish it was literally a hookup on every cast, regardless of direction I fished in.

No idea how long they'll stick around but from what I saw last summer, they drifted away from that area once the water temp got up in to the 70s. Right now they're happy in 4-7ft. The bigger ones seemed to prefer the 4-5ft, and I found the fish got generally smaller as I drifted into the 6-7ft water. Don't go too shallow though... rays. Ugh. Anyway I'm done for the week, so have at it! PM me if you struggle to find them and I can help narrow your search somewhat.

Happy Holiday w/end!
    Karl

Nice report Karl- when the schoolies are around it's easy to get quantity. Nice that there are a few keepers in the bunch as well.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I only caught my first rockfish just over a year ago, so this is my first experience of finding them stacked up like this. Highly entertaining, particularly on my medium-light baitcasting outfit

Comment

Nice report, good to hear another new person to the salt is having fun. To get keeper size is a bonus. They may move on with these water temps finally rising.

The CNR's are wearing us out early, I hope they migrate to NJ soon

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14
        2016 Outback LE#217

Comment

Space Cadet - Thanks for the intel. Fished RH early morning today and after a couple hours got into a group of nice quality fish that provided some great pullage! 5.5 feet of water (just like you said) and 1/2 a dozen 18 - 22.5" fish. If anyone is near the launch it seems they are still in the area. Didn't get the numbers that SC got but it was fun and over half were quality fish.
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Glad you got into them, Wood Yak! I lurked in the background on this forum last year, and most of my successes are thanks to what I've learned reading everyone else's reports and tips. I'm glad I'm able to start giving back now!

Comment

Thank you for the report! I was fortunate enough to get out with a small group this morning and had a blast. Even caught my first top water striper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

jsnyd86 - awesome! Happy the fish were still there for you!

BTW, I probably should've mentioned this sooner but just a reminder that the RH bay is still C&R until June 1st. For the harvest zone you need to paddle out past Holland Point. (There are fish out that far, though not as many as in the C&R section, from what I found.)

Comment

Rose Haven

I'll have to check the waypoints I made but I'm pretty sure they're out of the cove area marked by DNR. A lot of my bites were in slightly deeper water and rising tide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Thanks for the report. My son and I went out Monday and had a great time; our first striper trip in the kayaks. I landed my first fish accidentally by laying my rod on my lap with the lure overboard about 3' and paddling my boat a few feet. It was pretty exciting to get a hit like that. I ended up getting more fish when trolling than I did by jigging.

Comment

Working...
                    X