5/29-30 Hoopers Island, OC Inlet and CBBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/29-30 Hoopers Island, OC Inlet and CBBT

Took the long weekend and made a circuit around the Eastern Shore.

Saturday: Launched from Hoopers Island into the Honga River around 0800 and trolled my way across to a channel. Lots of marks and plenty of floating grass in areas. The commercial trotliners and clammers(??) were out in force and doing a good job of killing the water clarity (+/-1ft). Only a couple bites and one dink striper caught. Appeared to be lots of bunker or other bait scattered around in small schools. Off the water around 1400.

Sunday: Fished OC inlet from around 0530-1400 through a strong outgoing tide and part way through the incoming. Spent most of the time fishing the south jetty with sand fleas but also worked a couple channels inside the inlet bouncing a bucktail/gulp combo. Water visibility was 1ft or so and the ff showed 60 degrees outside the inlet and 70-74 degrees inside the inlet. Landed 6 short tog 14-15.5 inches and 5 short stripers 18-24 inches on fleas. Lots of traffic even in the fog that was hanging around. No flounder jigging. The other boats I saw around and the people I talked to were doing about the same.

Monday: With light winds forecasted I figured it was a good time to explore the north end of the CBBT. Launched at 0530 and was off the water around 1500 after making a circuit around Fishermans Island trolling around some of the shoals and jigging the channels around the bridge. FF showed 70ish degrees. Lots of 8-12 inch weakfish and one big hook up that I couldn't hardly move in the channel. Kinda felt like a ray and I wasn't sure it was even alive until it started slowly moving away and snapped my line. Dolphins kept me company most of the morning.

Feels good to be back on the water!

what a weekend, thanks for sharing!
    sigpic

Comment

That's quite the weekend that's for sure. Thanks for the report. Good job sticking it out at the jetty on an outgoing tide. What'd it take to hold bottom? I generally try and stick to the incoming at the jetty as much as I can.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        Good job sticking it out at the jetty on an outgoing tide. What'd it take to hold bottom? I generally try and stick to the incoming at the jetty as much as I can.
        I prefer fishing the end of the south jetty on the outgoing myself lol, I can sit in the eddy and fish the underwater section pretty easily. I was fishing the fleas on a 3/8 ounce jig head sunday and have fished them on a fish finder rig with an 1/8th ounce weight other days when I am looking for sheep head. I'm not sure 16 ounces would have held bottom when the tide was carrying me out the inlet at over 5mph!

Comment

I've anchored along the jetty at the tail end of outgoing on a low coefficient before and I was barely holding bottom with 6oz. It was dicey anchoring too in that current. Fishing the submerged portion is the way to go on outgoing.

And way to take full advantage of the weekend!
          Brian

Comment

thanks for the report and welcome back! Were you trolling when you had the big hookup at CBBT? Possibly a big black drum?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              thanks for the report and welcome back! Were you trolling when you had the big hookup at CBBT? Possibly a big black drum?
              Jigging a bucktail/gulp combo. Its been a while since I hooked something that just didn't want to move. No head shakes, nothing, just a slow smooth "run" once it decided to head out and then the 14lb fireline snapped. I haven't caught any large drum but it felt like a large ray glued to the bottom to me. And thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X