Point lookout area info request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point lookout area info request

I have to be down at Point Lookout State Park for a couple days next week and am contemplating bringing my kayak. I would have the evenings open and also have Thursday off and could stay down there if the fishing action is worth it.

So, are there any good areas for kayak fishing near the state park? I've read the Potomac can be pretty rough at the mouth there.

On Thursday I could travel anywhere between there and Baltimore if there is a spot worth checking out. I'm up for chasing anything, but would love to try for flounder if it's not too early. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I am an alumni from Saint Mary's College of Maryland, which isn't too far North of there. I'm pretty sure there's a large public boathouse there, but you might have to call about if it's open for public launches. It's on the St Mary's River, and there might be some old oyster beds near the sandy beaches by the boathouse, so watch your feet and wear shoes if possible. As far as fishing around there, I fished a little in college, but unfortunately I wasn't nearly as interested in it as I am now, I do remember catching some perch, and even some decent size blues there in September. I know a bunch of people have fished from the pier down at Point Lookout too, and I've seen some good size rockfish, but sadly I don't know of any kayak fishing spots. But as for the St Marys River, if you fished the mouth of that where it hits the Potomac, you might get some good rockfish schooling around that river mouth.

Comment

there are many places down here to fish so yes i would suggest you take the yak so you don't regret it. if PLO is wind blown than most likely Saint Jeromes creek or Smith creek or Piney point may not be. there is almost always somewhere down here out of the wind. right now rockfish are what is biting down here. the croaker is taking a slow start. white perch are really coming on strong right now as well. i live about 2 miles by water from PLO so hit me up and we can meet up.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Check out St Mary's boat ramps for a list and location of the free ramps down here. There are launches on both sides of the county so you can almost always find a spot out of the wind. Fishinggod also has a nice private option to fish some under fished water. St Inigoes, piney point, Clark's Landing are favorites of mine. Elms Beach is a nice kayak launch as well.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

fishinggod - I'll send you a message when I figure out my schedule better to see if you'll have time to meet up.
          Last edited by Crotalus; 06-01-2016, 07:30 AM.
          Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

The rock jetties along the inlet at Lake Conoy at PLO is one of the areas you can find spot, croaker, tailor blues, stripers and speckled trout...inside there is a sand bottom channel that has some flounder
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X