Fishing Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Heaven

Fished the South River for the 3rd week in a row. Last night 6/2/16. was the best fishing Ive ever experienced. Water clarity was excellent again, baitfish have moved in, and so have the fish!

Started the day by cast-netting for bait at the dock. Caught about ten 5" menhaden in one cast (that was easy). Paddled out to deeper water and began live-lining them. First 5 minutes hooked up with a beautiful 26". Of course I was not ready and he birdnested my reel because the drag was so light. After about 20 mins of my f-ing with rod and re-rigging I was ready to fish some more. Put another menhaden on, and caught another 23". Got him in and released with no issues. 2/2 already. Now im thinking yes, this is so easy and so fun what could go wrong. Like always something has to spoil the fun. I go to re-bait my line and look in my bucket - all my bait was dead. Live menhaden do not hold well in a bucket without changing water constantly. So that was that for live-lining. I tried dead-lining, but only ended up with giant blue crabs ( I mean JUMBOS). It was such a nice evening i just decided to cast some poppers and bkds before heading back in. No luck with that but man fish was splashing all around me. Large schools of bait we being chased so other big fish were in the area. Also saw a lot of big rays. Great evening!

Sounds like a good trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

nice. You can also keep those bunker alive for a decent amount of time on a metal clip stringer.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sounds like things are turning on all over the bay, Awesome!!
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by BigRick View Post
          Fished the South River for the 3rd week in a row. Last night 6/2/16. was the best fishing Ive ever experienced. Water clarity was excellent again, baitfish have moved in, and so have the fish!

Started the day by cast-netting for bait at the dock. Caught about ten 5" menhaden in one cast (that was easy). Paddled out to deeper water and began live-lining them. First 5 minutes hooked up with a beautiful 26". Of course I was not ready and he birdnested my reel because the drag was so light. After about 20 mins of my f-ing with rod and re-rigging I was ready to fish some more. Put another menhaden on, and caught another 23". Got him in and released with no issues. 2/2 already. Now im thinking yes, this is so easy and so fun what could go wrong. Like always something has to spoil the fun. I go to re-bait my line and look in my bucket - all my bait was dead. Live menhaden do not hold well in a bucket without changing water constantly. So that was that for live-lining. I tried dead-lining, but only ended up with giant blue crabs ( I mean JUMBOS). It was such a nice evening i just decided to cast some poppers and bkds before heading back in. No luck with that but man fish was splashing all around me. Large schools of bait we being chased so other big fish were in the area. Also saw a lot of big rays. Great evening!
          I have a 6 ft casting net but I just don't have much luck with it. What time were you catching the menhaden? Does it make any difference catching them after the sun comes up?

Thanks

Donnie
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
            I have a 6 ft casting net but I just don't have much luck with it. What time were you catching the menhaden? Does it make any difference catching them after the sun comes up?

Thanks

Donnie
            I caught them at 430pm. Dosent seem to make a difference the time of day. Some days they are in close some days there are none around. Lucky for me I have many piers and ramps in the neighborhood to try from. Just have to switch spots often.

Comment

Working...
            X