Hart- Miller island state park-overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart- Miller island state park-overnight

I was just reading about hart miller island state park recently being opened to the public
    there are campsites available, an overnight trip should be fun, and never having done one before, looks like the park would be a good fist time trip from the Rocky point park launch at the mouth of back river to the island maybe ? never been to back river either. any suggestions for here or somewhere else maybe a bit further north to go? anyone interested ?

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands...artmiller.aspx
    Native watercraft Mariner 12.5
    Lowrance HDI 5
    Abu Garcia rods n reels

I've found it convenient to launch from here: (I might be one or two streets off but the launch is obvious)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/m...76.4020864,19z

There are places to launch between the houses and they are open to the public. I was told that it is a DNR right of way to launch for rescues etc. You can launch there and park on the side of the road. I've done it several times and never had a problem. The Island is a short paddle away and there are no issues with overnight parking.

Comment

As a heads up, parking at the Rocky Point State Park is prohibited. Has to be street parking, which isn't always easy out there. It's a nice place, when there aren't crowds of boaters out there. I would double check on the availability of fresh water for overnight camping, when I went previously the facilities were down.
      J

Comment

An FYI, the beach and campsites (~100 acres) have been open on HMI for many years. What is now open to the public is 300 acres on the southern half of the island (the south cell) from Thurs-Mon every week. There are trails for hiking and wildlife watching (mostly birds). They will also now have bike "rentals" (they will be free for at least the first year) to help get around the island. Not sure if those planning to do an overnight fishing trip would be interested in exploring the interior of the island, but it is pretty neat. I probably wouldn't recommend kayaking around there on a weekend due to the heavy boat traffic, but a weekday overnight trip would be a lot of fun.
        Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Funny you posted this, some friends and i will be camping out on Hart-Miller or Pleasure Island sometime next month. Hopefully its not too crowded
          Feel Free Lure 11.5

Comment

Working...
          X