Piney Point 6/10 - What can Blue do for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point 6/10 - What can Blue do for you

Found myself alone at Piney Point this morning. My usual SMOG member, Yak67, was off in search of croaker at Solomon’s and the Fishinggod may have stayed in bed. I arrived at 5:15 and was on the tail end of an incoming tide with really slack water under the bridge. Usually this is a recipe for skunk pie, but not today. I didn’t catch any in my first pass through the bridge so I headed off towards a flat that can produce. Hit a school of 14” fish and had 4 fish landed in about 5 minutes of fishing. Headed back to the bridge and noted that bait fish were now showing up on the FF. For the next couple of hours it was fish, after fish after fish. Unfortunately they were running 14” – 16” with my biggest being an 18”.

By this time the tide was beginning to run and the winds out of the NW had gotten brisker as the morning went on. I was in the very unusual position of being able to hold in front of the bridge with the current pulling one way and the wind pushing me back against it. Just a couple of flutter kicks to give me forward momentum and it was easy fishing. I had a very pleasant surprise fish – my first bluefish of the year. I think it must have been lost, but where I caught it held them last year so I hope they are getting ready to move in.

Called it quits around 9:00 and believe I caught 30-40 fish. While no keepers I left with a smile on my face and in the words of Turtle Man, I had “Live Action!”.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Live action is way better than no action!! Glad you didn't have to eat any of that pie....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Good report. Congratulations on the bluefish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great time for you! Thx for the report! I'm going out this evening at Clarkes.....just for the heck of it!
        Walt
        Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Man I leave you alone to your on devices and you have the best day yet! The croakers were biting, but not like that. Way to go! And no CNR By-Catch!! That was a Great Day Fishing

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-15
          2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

I got a few nice flounder bottom fishing Saturday back side of the Island at bouy 83 there were croaker and white perch there too

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              I got a few nice flounder bottom fishing Saturday back side of the Island at bouy 83 there were croaker and white perch there too
              Where is bouy 83???
              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Big mike,

Yup, the bluefish have been starting to show up. Rocks in the area have been under. And croaker have managed to take over the area. Some nice perch still around but you have to find them. I went out saturday around 9 till about 2, resulted in small fish. Must have been 1000 rays all around the island, yes we went all the way around.

Comment

It's right off from the restaurant it is marker 3 there's a oyster bar there

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    It's right off from the restaurant it is marker 3 there's a oyster bar there
                    Gotcha

Comment

Working...
                    X