Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden voyage on the Severn with the Hobie: Room for Improvement!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden voyage on the Severn with the Hobie: Room for Improvement!!

Hi Folks,

I just bought my first fishing kayak the week before Memorial Day, a Hobie 2014 Revolution. I took it along on our family camping trip Memorial Day weekend to Shad Landing campground at Pokomoke State Park near Snow Hill, MD. I took it out on the Pokomoke river for a shake down paddle, which went pretty good, but didn’t get too involved in fishing as it was a family camping weekend.

The Maiden voyage, fishing on the Severn River, was last Tuesday. I loaded it up on my Jeep the night before, got off work an hour early (3:00 PM in Laurel), headed home (Severn, MD), picked up the Jeep and headed for Jonas Green Park—slowly. Seems something hit an overhead sign on the Rt. 50 Severn River Bridge and backed up traffic to Millersville. Oh well, got to Jonas Green park at 5:00 PM.

Weather.com listed the winds for the afternoon to top out at 10 mph. When I arrived at Jonas Green, trees were swaying. I checked the Chesapeake smart buoy at Annapolis—15 knts wind—that lined up a lot more with what I was seeing. Launched anyway. It took a lot to get there. Turned kayak into the wind and headed for the Rt. 50 Bridge.

I’ve got 50 years worth of fresh water fishing experience, all kinds of boats and canoes, but no experience kayak fishing in tidal waters. I did talk with many of you at the kayak flea market last February (I think it was at Rivera Beach), when I was researching what kayak to buy. I also just finished Alan Battista’s book, so I felt somewhat armed with some knowledge.

I’ve never trolled. Not my fresh water fishing style, but it seems to be the way to approach Rockfishing with a kayak, so I gave it a try. Managed to get two lines out with paddletails on them. Good. Actually caught a 12” Rockfish near Weems creek. Good. Trolled for around 90 minutes and drag on rod #1 started singing. Finally determined that it was not a fish, but it was a snag and the wind was blowing me away. Holding on to snagged rod, couldn’t figure out what to do with the other rod still out with lure 50’ back, so left it out and dealt with turning kayak around and going back to snag. I also have little experience with braid—always been a monofilament user. Re-confirmed that it is no fun to have to free a snag when dealing with braided line. Luckily the line broke at the lure and I got all my braid and monofilament leader back. Was not looking forward to trying to remember how to tie a Uni knot again. Put that rod back in holder and grabbed rod #2 that was still out. CNR on other end!!

CNR was upstream and upwind. They don’t have things that look like this at Rocky Gorge reservoir, I wasn’t particularly keen with the idea of getting one of those things 12” away from me in the kayak. I did manage to get it in next to the kayak, but then it took off again. Ran all over. Next thing I know, I have no direction control on the Hobie. Finally determine that the braid has wrapped around the rudder big time. Couldn’t free it with rod. Grabbed rod #3 (for perch) and tried to use it to push loops off rudder while holding onto rod #1 in the other hand. Next thing I know, rod #3 is caught/trapped in loops on the rudder. Now I have a rod in each hand, both hung up in rudder, kayak blowing downwind, and CNR doing who knows what.

Luckily my knife was close, so I cut the line. Everything unraveled and I got both rods back. If someone catches a CNR with a white paddletail in its lip and yellow braided line attached, that would be mine.

I took a couple casts for perch, but it was getting late. Put rods away and looked around. Re-established what a beautiful setting it was, early evening, wind dying down, no one else on the river, hadn't thought about work for 4 hours, and why we all enjoy this hobby as much as we do.

Peddled back to ramp and loaded up gear and went home no harm done.

I hope to get out again tomorrow (Saturday afternoon). If you see someone fishing on the Severn in a Hobie Revolution and think to yourself, “I wouldn’t do that if I were him”, that would probably be me. I’m pretty far down on the learning curve; please say hello!

Gary G
    Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Originally posted by Gary G View Post
    Hi Folks,

If someone catches a CNR with a white paddletail in its lip and yellow braided line attached, that would be mine.

Gary G
    Will DO.

I'll be going back there next week--looking for a free ride around on the water... If I happen to bring one of those monsters up, I'll check it out for you. But don't count on in, there stinger tails scares me......
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Congratulations on the new ride! Glad you found some joy in what could have been a trying day. I firmly believe it is best to get as many mistake out of the way as early as possible. We all make them eventually. What not get it over with?

Be assured that you won't have the river to yourself tomorrow. Saturday boat traffic an get hectic quickly on the river. Keep your wits about you and your head on a swivel.

Enjoy!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Gary,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to our passion.

Now that you've gotten three bad but common experiences out of the way (wrapped rudder, snag, and CNR) I assume you also learned and appreciated how well the Revo takes to choppy water. In time you'll also learn how to deal more efficiently with each of those situations and more important, how to avoid them.

I look forward to fishing with you.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
          Congratulations on the new ride! Glad you found some joy in what could have been a trying day. I firmly believe it is best to get as many mistake out of the way as early as possible. We all make them eventually. What not get it over with?

Be assured that you won't have the river to yourself tomorrow. Saturday boat traffic an get hectic quickly on the river. Keep your wits about you and your head on a swivel.

Enjoy!
          I agree. I was out Thursday and bigger boats were very cautious around me. But, if they were drinking, talking to someone--it could have been scary.
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Gary, first welcome to fishing on the Severn, my favorite place to fish. There are so many places and environs to fish. Once the CNRs and seagrasses disappear, try hitting the numerous creeks the border the Severn- great for White Perch and Pickerel, even some Rock later in the fall. Just be careful on the weekends during the summer, lots of crazies in power boat there. Hope to see you (during the weekdays) soon.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

The nice thing about being retired is you can pick your days and mostly avoid the crowds...the bad thing is you usually fish alone and miss the comrade of the fishing fraternity...but the peace and solitude are very refreshing and helps stress relief...talking about a birds nest when you have multiple rods trolling- I was trolling four rods (never again) when two went down together- I tried to maintain a straight troll while I reeled in the first fish- a 28 inch Striper- the second fish has tangled the other two lines and I lost it trying to reel in the lines which got tangled in my sail rudder- I am out in the channel in 80 feet of water off Piney Point with charter boats trolling 25 lines on planer boards all around me...all tangled up...so don't feel bad- it happens to all of us- or at least me...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Gary -

Congratulations on your new kayak. As others have noted, you experienced several common issues on your first Severn trip. You got through the challenges and can learn from the experience.

This is a tough time of year to fish the section of the Severn near Jonas Green. There is a lot of vegetation in the water that makes trolling in deeper water and casting to shorelines more challenging. Hang in there -- the vegetation will die off in a few weeks.

First time trollers have some learning to do too. You will get better at it. You already read Alan's book -- my book has quite a bit of information on light tackle trolling too.

Regarding cow nosed rays, which are abundant in the Severn this year, there is a quick and easy way to get the ray off. Once you are sure you have a ray and not a snag or some other large fish, just point the rod tip straight at the fish, palm the spool, and pull. The line will break at either the lure/leader connection or the leader/main line connection. You will lose a lure but not much line. Further, you are unlikely to break a rod tip. You mentioned concern about tying a uni knot on the water. You will need to do this. I recommend practicing at home 10, 15, or more times in a row until you can tie it without thinking. Then tying on the water is not a big deal.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice trip and good luck in the future. I am still learning my outback and tidal fishing too.
                  If the uni knot is hard have you tried a surgeons knot?
                  It's basically two over hands through a loop.
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yftA2kvFERU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are working your way up the ladder, Gary, & welcome. Now you've got a story to tell...
                    thanks for sharing!

Comment

Maiden voyage on the Severn with the Hobie: Room for Improvement!!

Way to go Gary! Congrats and welcome. Those things happen but once they do, you'll be better prepared on how to deal with them next time. Everyone goes through it eventually. Hopefully next time there will be a striper on the other end and not a CNR.
                      If you tangle up with one again and don't care to bring it along side, most guys will thumb the spool and point the rod tip towards the fish. If you're not tangled of course. Once they make a big run they'll break off at the knot. The jig knot, not your leader/braid knot. Then hopefully you won't have to worry about whipping up another leader on the water.
                      Hope to see you out sometime this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! Turns out I wasn't able to get out in the Hobie today, had "honeydo's" this morning, and I took your advice on not going trolling on the Severn this time of year on a nice, sunny Saturday afternoon! This is a great forum, thanks, and I'll post how my next adventure goes!

Gary G
                        Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Comment

Working...
                        X