Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plnning on launching from Jonas Green Park this Tuesday -- anyone want to join me??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plnning on launching from Jonas Green Park this Tuesday -- anyone want to join me??

Date: 14 June
    Time: Not sure: Either 1:00 or 3:00 PM. Depending on how much leave I take.

Plan: Probably head over to Weems, unless you have a better idea--or the wind picks up. Would like to go after Perch, but will also bring along a bigger rod to see if I can tangle with a CNR.

Edit: Also, will be taking spelling lessons during the offseason........ (e.g. Planning not 'Plnning')
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
    ...but will also bring along a bigger rod to see if I can tangle with a CNR.
    Good luck.

But my money is on the CNR.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I might be up for joining you. I have tomorrow off starting around 10am, but was going to do a bank fishing tour of some of the local bass spots. However, none of these spots are usually very fruitful (at least for me) so I might be calling it short. Do you have an idea on which side of your launch window you are leaning?

EDIT: I have a stiff casting rod I don't really care for and a reel that I bought at a fleamarket for $5, I fear no CNR. What type of lure seems to attract them the most often?
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
        EDIT: I have a stiff casting rod I don't really care for and a reel that I bought at a fleamarket for $5, I fear no CNR. What type of lure seems to attract them the most often?
        The most expensive one you carry.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I might be up for joining you. I have tomorrow off starting around 10am, but was going to do a bank fishing tour of some of the local bass spots. However, none of these spots are usually very fruitful (at least for me) so I might be calling it short. Do you have an idea on which side of your launch window you are leaning?

Hello Drew,
          The guy I went with last time, Brian, used a white jig, with white skirt, dressed with a white plastic trailer. It looked to be 1/2 - 3/4 ounce.

I was not expecting to go after anything so big, so I just had a 1/8 jig with a yellow trailer. Brain caught the CNRs at will, I hooked one. Then it bent my hook.

I went to walmart and got a jig that looks like Brian's, then I've ordered others that are better quality. I will be there at 1:30 - 2:00. I drive a green Silverado with a DoD award on the license plate. I did not bring my wife cell-phone today--I did not know to expect company. So, I will launch, and gradually head up the Weems. I will not go very deep into Weems.

I try to be as visible on the water as possible. So, I have an orange Yak, yellow vest, hunter orange hat.

I look forward to meeting you. If not today, then some other time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            The most expensive one you carry.
            Nearly all the CNRs I have caught were done when trolling light lures. I usually troll with 3/8-oz to 3/4-oz jigheads (or bucktails) and use 3" to 4" paddletails or twister tails. Sometimes the rays take the lure in their mouths -- more often the hook snags in their wings.

Swimming plugs (crankbaits) are known to hook rays too.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I didn't make it to JG today, the bass were cooperating today!

Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I didn't make it to JG today, the bass were cooperating today!

Good for you.

I was thinking I'd never seen one of those in the Severn.

Regarding CNR lure preferences, I fed quite a few Rat-L-Traps and at least one X-Rap to them before I learned how to avoid them -- as much as that is possible. So I wasn't kidding when I said they like expensive lures. As John said bucktails and jigs with plastics will also hook them. CNR are not discriminating about lures.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

I snagged a juvenile CNR on a jig head today. Even a small one at the side of the kayak is a handful. Ended up just cutting the line, 50 cents gone.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks John Veil for the break off CNR advice. I have used the technique extensively this year. I was beginning to wonder if the Rays have a deal with tackle shops as I have surrendered many rigs to those buggers. I concur with Mark - they seem
                    To prefer brand new X-raps or anything else expensive.

Comment

Thanks John Veil for the break off CNR advice. I have used the technique extensively this year. I was beginning to wonder if the Rays have a deal with tackle shops as I have surrendered many rigs to those buggers. I concur with Mark - they seem
                      To prefer brand new X-raps or anything else expensive.

Comment

Mark and John: Great advice. Thanks! The CNRs were totally gone..... Amazing, they swooped in..... Spawned, then swooped out.

Bunnie: Great job with that bass!!

As for me, it was an absolute gorgeous day! Middle 70's, low wind, no rain. Bald eagles were out, hawks and ravens were seen flying around as well. I hooked about 15 perch. Lost about 5, 3 I tossed back cause they were too small. So, I brought home 7. The biggest one was 10 inches long.

My wife, who is so used to be bringing nothing home, was shocked that I got 7.... The biggest was 10 inches.

I am hooked........ Perch fishing is my sport.......

Best Regards,

Stan

Comment

Working...
                        X