Someone Goofed This Morning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Goofed This Morning!

This morning Keith McCray and I were planning to do some Striper trolling in Whitehall Bay, then maybe a little Perch fishing2016-06-14 10.40.35.jpg. Windfinder projected N-NW 15 at 6 then dropping. Well, when we got to the launch, it was blowing out of the NE at least 15. So we decided to do the Perch fishing first, and wait for the winds to die-they did not. We launched in Carrs Creek and started working the western shoreline. Got hits right away, some small, but a lot in the 10-12" . We kept working up the shoreline until we got into small cove. A hot spot was just around the corner in a shady area in 6-9 ft of water. They were hitting mostly spinners. I used a white and a yellow. Both were successful. Later I worked around the corner along an old stone bulkhead. Again in the shade, lots of nice 10-12".2016-06-14 09.33.11.jpg I peddled across the creek, along a wooden bulkhead in the shade-again lots of hits. Keith brought a cooler for the Perch for a future fish fry, in the end, between the two of us, he probably had a couple dozen nice sized perch. Was talking with a local commercial crabber about the abundance of perch. He said that it has been the best spawn in many years. Got off the water around 11:30. Even though we had no Striper trolling, but WP were a lot of fun and the morning weather was just great-no humidity.
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 06-17-2016, 02:07 PM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Way to go guys.

I've yet to find perch in such numbers yet.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very nice. Is there a public launch in Carr's Creek? I have to be in Annapolis tomorrow evening and was thinking of fishing prior. Was debating between Sandy Point and Jonas Green, but you are making Whitehall Bay look pretty good if it is windy.
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

No, I used a friend's launch. Have never done this area before, so everything was new. There are a couple of marinas in the area, maybe you could launch from one of them. Wish I could help you more.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

No worries. Thanks.
          Kevin

Comment

Good job finding some pullage!
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I caught a bunch in the Severn over the weekend. They're a blast on ultra light tackle. The thing I found strange was several of the perch I caught were still dripping milt, seems really late for that to be still going on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I agree, ultra light is the way to go. Did not notice any milt, but then I wasn't looking too hard.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Regarding white perch with milt...

I recently read in an outdoor publication that local bluegill spawns were interrupted repeatedly by our odd spring weather. We had an early warmup in March and April and then weeks of below normal temperatures in May. That follows my observation. I saw few on beds despite fishing several ponds this spring during their typical spawning times.

Perhaps the spawning cycle of perch also has been affected leaving some in various stages of the cycle even now.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going. I had poor luck with spinners (but, I don't know what I'm doing--so maybe I was reeling in wrong). What worked for me was a little spoon. Also, 6-9' of water seemed to be the hot spot for me as well.
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

A two toned brown paddletail worked best for that day, 6-10' of water was the sweet spot. Had to look up what "milt" was, l didn't notice anything like that either.

Keith
                      Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Hit Jonas Green this afternoon and cleaned up on perch using a spinner in about 3-6ft of water. Most were between 8-11". Got a rock, too, but it was just a wee bit shy of being a keeper.
                        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
                          Hit Jonas Green this afternoon and cleaned up on perch using a spinner in about 3-6ft of water. Most were between 8-11". Got a rock, too, but it was just a wee bit shy of being a keeper.
                          Ha! I hope you put your name on it. Then it will be yours in 5 years. :-)
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Glad to hear you got into some perch. They are in the river heavy right now. That striper probably almost broke your line.LOL

Keith
                            Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

I have found that when having difficulty hooking up, downsize your lure. Particularity if you are targeting WP, keep your spinner size small. Also target shadow areas along shoreline with a steady return, sometimes even stopping your return for a second or two. That has worked for me many times. Good luck and keep,trying.
                              John Rentch
                              Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                              X