Mattawoman 6/12/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 6/12/16

Fished the Mattawoman from 11am-3pm. Tide was supposed to go from low to high, but was pretty low to start. Caught a 12 inch bass behind some wood but that was it for a while. Ventured down stream and into the increasing winds. Was hard to hold anchor and cast to the pads/spatterdock. Kept on chugging away. Only got nibbles here and there. Saw a horror movie sight.....bobbing dead baby deer head in the water, furless and bleached white. Ugh!! Must have been attached to the body or skeleton below the surface...stuff of nightmares for sure. Headed back upstream to refish areas that had more water in them from incoming tide. About 40 yards from where I got the first fish, I get a nice strike on a 4" white fluke and land a nice bass. 17.5" and around 3 pounds. My biggest of the year. I cross the river and fish some denser weeds of a different type. Cast and swim/drag the fluke over and through the weeds when I get a voracious hit with a big swirl in the water. Soon into the fight, my suspicions were confirmed when a nice snakehead rockets out of the water. I adjust my drag to prepare for the quick runs. I haven't hooked or landed a snakehead in a few years, so I was very anxious. Managed to do an adequate net job with my small net and swing it into the boat. I have a small sit inside kayak....so definite "bull in a china shop" scenario ensues... it is a nice snakehead of about 26 inches and 6 pounds and is very angrily thrashing around at my feet. I grab the shoulders and remove the hook. Start looking around for something to use as a stringer (can't believe I forgot it...guess I was pessimistic)...and wouldn't you know it....the jerk fish goes crazy again, my grip slips and it jumps right out of my kayak!! ARGH!! I was beyond pissed. I went from visions of fried/grill/broiled snakehead meals to absolute anguish. I am a very passionate person when it comes to fishing and all I wanted to do was yell f bombs up and down the river. 30 seconds ago I was hooting and hollering about my victory over the snakehead and now I was left empty handed. But I got control of myself, thought happy thoughts about my wife and kids and decided to just enjoy the scenery and call my parents for a little bit to get my mind off things. After about 20 minutes, I went back at it. Headed back to the launch and tried a small swampy tributary that now had enough water to get my kayak through. First cast in and another crazy loud and splashing blowup....another snakehead!!!! This one is even bigger. Thankfully due to the weeds and shallow water the fight wasn't as crazy as before...but when she got closer to the boat, I could see the hook was deep and therefore the line was exposed to her sharp teeth. I took no chances, got the net out, and made the luckiest and/or most skillful scoop of my life, tail first, capturing the whole snakehead. 28 inches and 7.5 pounds, my new personal best! I basically left it in the net, kicked it to the front of my kayak and paddled back to the launch. Just like that my day had gotten decidedly better. Attached are pics of the big bass and the snakehead....which had about 1 pound of eggs in her.

Green Old Town Loon 111
    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

That's quite a report.

I can think of a lot bad scenarios in my kayak but a snakehead thrashing at my feet is one I hope I never encounter.

Congrats on your nice bass and for catching back-to-back snakeheads.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on catching two snakeheads. They are tasty.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I usually include a fish bat in my setup when I go fishing in snakehead territory. Calms them down pretty effectively.
        “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Great story!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice work. Many folks don't realize that half the battle with snakehead starts once you get them in the boat.
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Very nice report, and great job with the snakeheads. I would LOVE to catch one of those guys. Maybe, someday.
              Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Nice fish and awesome report! Might have to make it down there sometime soon, I'm looking to get my first snakehead this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoyed the report! Thanks! Though wish I hadn't read about the deer head -- yikes!
                  Michael
                  Washington, DC
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    That's quite a report.

I can think of a lot bad scenarios in my kayak but a snakehead thrashing at my feet is one I hope I never encounter.

Congrats on your nice bass and for catching back-to-back snakeheads.
                    Great report, but I'm with Mark on this one. Too many unhappy possibilities..... Definitely, bat first, stringer second.

Glad to hear the change in outlook was rewarded by a bigger prize!
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Congrats. Super jealous here. I have yet to catch my own SH. I've eaten one that was given to me and I'm sold. I live in Waldorf, and I've hit Mallows Bay, Farmington Landing, Smallwood and Mattawoman....no luck yet...for them to be so invasive and thriving, they are super elusive to me....thanks for the report.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                      X