Fishing Romancoke 7/18/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Romancoke 7/18/2011

I had Monday off and I was looking into doing some fishing. Pinch and his friend Matt decided on trying for Rockfish by the Bay Bridge pilings. A new member to Maryland Kayak Fishing, Shield, a.k.a. Don, was trying to decide between the Bridge and Romancoke. After Don and I talked, we decided that Romancoke may be better for him and his friend who are new to the kayak fishing experience. The winds seemed to be blowing from the South West, so I figured that the chop would make fishing challenging at the Bay Bridge for Don and his buddy to have a good chance of putting fish in the cooler.

We met at Anglers at 5am, Don and his friend collected bloodworms and shrimp, and some tackle for the day. After getting bait we headed off to Romancoke where we launched our Yaks just after 6:00am. Don and his friend had only owned their Ascend 12 foot kayaks for a month. They were looking at my kayak to see the rigging possibilities. We headed over to my usual spot on the Coke. Using a bottom fishing rig with bloodworms and a fish finder rig with shrimp, I was able to bring home 7 fat croakers approaching 16 inches and 3 jumbo spots. I caught scores of perch another 1/2 dozen spots. I even caught 2 small rockfish that were released. Don and his buddy had a good time. They quietly started filling their stringer with perch, and croakers. They even caught and released a small rockfish. At Romancoke the water was a little choppy with rolling swells. Our drift was fairly fast, which kept the total fish count down. High tide was at 8:00am. Despite our fast drift, we all managed to catch fish to take home. Don and his friend really enjoyed their time out on the water. They will be back again.

In the late morning Pinch called me and told me that he was heading to Romancoke with Matt, since the fishing at the Bridge was bad. Pinch said that the water was rough and the current was too fast. Spots were almost impossible to locate in order to live line. I guess we made the right choice of fishing out of Romancoke instead.
    Attached Files

OK Martin ........... you've exceeded even your commercial quota for croakers ......... another good job though

Comment

nice martin, looks like glass out there very messy sunday morning with the wind from the SW 2' choppy swell parallel to the shore a lot of work to keep nose in to it. but the fish are definitely there in EB

Comment

croaker good eatin
        sigpic

Comment

looks like some nice size croakers! Did well there on croakers out by the oyster dredge buoy straight out from the pier a couple weeks ago.

Comment

WTG Moc!
            Let me know nextime..
            GB

Comment

Great job on pulling a mess of croakers and introducing two new Yakers to the art of Chesapeake Bay bottom fishing. A guided trip bottom fishing with Moc is a great head start.

Me and my buddy are deciding between Romancoke or the bay bridge on Saturday.

Comment

Thinkin' the same thing. Roman or BB. I think BB may have a bit of boat traffic.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Who needs a fish finder to locate croaker? Just look for the guy in the red Revo and drop a line next to him. Nice work, gents.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                  X