Severn fishing before dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn fishing before dark

I went out looking for white perch, which I found, but was pleasantly surprised to find this 24 inch striper among the babies schooling between 7:30 and 8:30 tonight.FB_IMG_1466730686909.jpg

That is one of the 17 inch fish we released last year or maybe the year before...the slot system works- look at the Gulf Coast every since they put in a slot system for redfish- quality redfish are all up and down the Gulf coast from Florida to Texas- and there are lots of bull reds mixed in...every now and then you get a 30-40 pound bull red on...and you release the bull red to reproduce more redfish...if our spring trophy season slot was one 40 (+) inch fish in Maryland/Virginia and striped bass were declared a sport fish it would not be but a couple of seasons before we would have a population of larger fish- it is frustrating for fishermen not to be able to catch a legal "keeper" but the longer term health of the species is paramount to a fishery at all...fishery management works, but it must be taken with a holistic approach- starting from the baitfish, crabs, etc. all the way to the top of the food chain...and most importantly for migratory species, the DNR regs have to match up state to state so as to have a holistic fishery management system...the true conservationists are hunters and sport fishermen demanding that we protect our resources from over harvesting and crashing the stocks...sorry for stealing your post with my soapbox speech this morning...must be the Chock-full of Nuts cup of coffee...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-24-2016, 07:12 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron, that's a retirement post you made right there. haha.
      Agree, I would like to see tighter regulations on rockfish and crabs.

Comment

I'm for no trophy season harvest ,just some good pics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
        Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jrodney31 View Post
          I went out looking for white perch, which I found, but was pleasantly surprised to find this 24 inch striper among the babies schooling between 7:30 and 8:30 tonight.[ATTACH=CONFIG]19276[/ATTACH]
          Congratulations on your surprise catch.

That's another reason I like to fish for white perch. They keep excellent company.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X