Slow go on St. Jerome's Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow go on St. Jerome's Creek

fished a few hours at St. Jerome's Creek on the outgoing tide- Sunday boat traffic, jet skis, family picnics on the beaches...the good news first...did not hook any CNRs...the bad- fish were not in the mood..two fish- a 17 + rock and a 14 inch blue...end of fishing report- the mouth of St.J's is changed from last year- silted in a lot with a few shallow channels in the sand bar flats- trolling up and down these 3-3 1/2 foot deep channels I saw a number of two to three foot long fish dart out from my kayak passing close to them...and I kept changing baits- 3 inch fat SAMs, 4 inch salt water assassins, XR8 XRaps, Redfish Magics....and two other kayakers were soaking soft shell crabs with no takers...both my fish came on XRaps...all in all it was a pretty slow day, but better than sitting at home...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

It's been slow everywhere in St Marys the past week and a half. Water got really dirty and the rocks seemed to have moved offshore. I got skunked at Smith Creek on Sunday, caught 2 at Piney Point last Wednesday, and nothing in Cuckhold on Monday. I did clean up on some quality perch (most 10" to 12") today on a rip rap wall in the bay above St Jeromes using a micro crank bait. Also caught an 18" striper on it. Hopefully we can get some cleaner water soon.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

The fish were really easily spooked- and the flats had fish on them- they would let me get within three or four feet of them before they bolted- and they were fish- not CNRs- couldn't tell what species, but they were either blues, stripers, specks or reds- body shape had a slightly wider head than the rest of the body- could have been 5 pound croakers but I doubt that...I really would like to catch a three foot long croaker- that would b a nice fight on light spinning gear...I think the constant boat traffic had them spooked- spooked fish don't feed...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice report......hmmmm mystery fish. very intriguing
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
        X