Flounder Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Fishing

I've done very little flounder fishing but would like to give it a try later this week. It looks like Wednesday through Friday might be great days to be on the water. If you could fish anywhere in the mid-Atlantic for flounder this time of year, where would you go?
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Most people go Virginia Beach area, OC inlet or CHSP area in DE.

Comment

I would go fish some unexplored deep channels and inlets in the backwaters of the VA barrier islands
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
        I would go fish some unexplored deep channels and inlets in the backwaters of the VA barrier islands
        I'll be around the Kiptopeake area Wednesday through Friday I think, so maybe I'll try the barrier island idea. Looks like launching at Oyster might work first thing Wednesday. Other than that, my plan is to try the concrete ships and troll north and south for whatever. I'd be happy for company or advice in any of these things as well as other ideas in the area. I'm a slow paddle in my Ride 135, but I can paddle pretty much all day long.
        Last edited by LivinTheDream; 06-28-2016, 12:33 PM.
        Bill

Comment

If the grass hasn't over grown at Wise Pt, then that's a good spot but the current can really move there. If you out there during flood or ebb tide, then stick to the side. Do not paddle in the middle or you will get tired fast. The side on the island side seems to be slower than the ramp side.

For the ships, I would stick around the ships. Look for slopes as you paddle along the ships and fish those slopes when the current is moving.

Comment

If you go out of Wise Point and get tired of drifting the ditch there, you can try heading over to the section of CBBT crossing fisherman Inlet to jig the pilings for flounder. I caught 2 keepers there before accidentally while I was sheepshead fishing and I also watched a guy targeting flounder do pretty good for himself.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
              I'll be around the Kiptopeake area Wednesday through Friday I think, so maybe I'll try the barrier island idea. Looks like launching at Oyster might work first thing Wednesday. Other than that, my plan is to try the concrete ships and troll north and south for whatever. I'd be happy for company or advice in any of these things as well as other ideas in the area. I'm a slow paddle in my Ride 135, but I can paddle pretty much all day long.
              Oyster is not doable in a Ride 135 in one day. It is eight miles minimum one way to the inlet, with strong winds and current. I have been there in my Ride 135 several years ago, so I know first hand. Try Wise Pt., plus I heard they were catching nice flounder in the Beach Channel last week. The Channel is only a half to three quarters of a mile out from Kipto ramp.

Comment

You all make it all sound too easy on this forum. I launched a Kiptopeake SP Wednesday morning and since the tide was going out, figured I would paddle to the CBBT. I was thinking the tide would turn around shortly after I got there and I could work the bridge on incoming having been inspired by the flounder segment of Kayak Kevin's Kayak Fishing the Chesapeake Bay 2. I remembered that he said the current had a substantial lag from the tide, but wow, between the northerly wind and the several hour lag, I never did get to play as I had hoped but only managed a couple of quick hook ups followed by immediate snags. He makes it look so easy. When I got back to the concrete ships my reel screamed with a big ole CNR, kind of fun, but not what I was hoping for.

Early on Thursday, I tried jigging for flounder in open water a good way out past the ships but only managed a tiny croaker. Toward the end of incoming, I launched at WISE, but took the channel North for some dumb reason and only fished the smaller channel between North Racoon Island and Skidmore Island. I did catch a couple of short flounder there and several more croaker, but the only thing worth the paddle was the scenery. That is a magnificent place.

I guess I really paddled a lot and fished a little. I did learn some though, mostly what not to do. So many variables in the salt...guess I need to stick to fresh water bass for a while. If only these learning experiences were not an 8 hour drive so that I might learn more quickly.
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X