July 3 Piney Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 3 Piney Point

I broke one on my cardinal rules yesterday...never fish on a holiday weekend...Bill and I hit the water at 4 p.m. to threatening skies and spitting sprinkles...the launch parking lot was full as was the overflow lot across the street- the shorelines were filled with fishermen almost elbow to elbow...the air was filled with soft Spanish language, laughing and the smell of grilling...a sight we normally see at Point Lookout State Park this holiday weekend...jet skis, pleasure boats, everyone having a great time...exactly what it is supposed to be...but not so great for fishing...in spite of all this Bill took home a nice mess of White Perch...we found a big school of school stripers under birds out side about a half mile or so from the bridge..no keepers but still fun to catch...we put the kayaks on the vehicles about 8 pm or so last night...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Nice report Ron! Big Mike and I broke that rule also yesterday at Breton Bay, not too bad in the am. Tons of schoolies and bait, no keepers though.
    Big Mike put us on a Honey Hole of WP, here comes late Trot-Line dude at 830am, and drops right on our spot right near us. Did not bat-an-eye.

Good to hear Piney is productive.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Inconsiderate, hooray for me; not so much for you kinda guy...nice...we see these pushy, brash folks more and more...I had a similiar experience earlier this Spring- I had caught and released several under size fish (close but no cigar) when a 16' skiff full of fishermen came in and anchored right on the troll line I had been using in 10 feet of water next to a 20 foot deep channel...and they were bottom fishing with double hook rigs- they did not know the Stripers I was releasing would most probably not hit their rigs- can't ever say they would never hit the double bottom bait rig...but that would be the last setup I would ever consider to use to fish for them...needless to say I was not happy...

Comment

Speaking of rude anglers...

Last season I was fishing the wooden wall at Greenbury Point on the Severn. I was cruising slowly with the wall to my right casting a jig spinner to the base of the wall. I had caught a couple of schoolies in short order, nothing noteworthy. But I was enjoying the action and anticipating a nice solo run along the wall.

From my left a small motor boat came rushing in with two guys in it. They set up 20 to 30 yards in front of me and started casting to the wall. I stopped moving forward. I had no choice. Also I had to negotiate the wake they created multiple times as it bounced off the wall.

I soon hooked another schoolie right where I stopped. I purposely played that fish so that it splashed a lot. I gave it the full Bill Dance treatment, overplaying my catch for the sake of my audience. I wanted the guys in the boat to see my bent rod and to think my fish was special. Then I pulled my line to the right side of my kayak and unhooked the striper at the water's surface so the boaters could not see it.

I immediately left in the direction of Whitehall Bay. I hope those guys stayed there looking for a big one.
        Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2016, 02:40 PM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice report Ron! Sorry Ethan and I never made it....our weekend project did not get done until early on the Fourth.....but turned out nice. I am pooped
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            ...in spite of all this Bill took home a nice mess of White Perch...we found a big school of school stripers under birds out side about a half mile or so from the bridge..no keepers but still fun to catch...we put the kayaks on the vehicles about 8 pm or so last night...
            "No keepers, but still fun...": You bet? I love that when there is just constant action. Great job and glad you had a blast.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Speaking of rude anglers... From my left a small motor boat came rushing in with two guys in it.

.... I hope those guys stayed there looking for a big one.
              I am always amazed, the difference in people. Some people could care less about me and my yak, and act like I don't exist. Other people will (even if 100 yards away, slow down to go past me). Most time, the nicest people are the waterman.

Anyways, great story! I got a good laugh.

Best Regards,
              Stan

Comment

Ron, did Bill have his red, wide-brimmed, hat?
                Fishing with Bill trumps the holiday crowds in my book.

Comment

Yes he did...and he caught the first fish

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                    You bet? I love that when there is just constant action. Great job and glad you had a blast.
                    So I need to proofread my posts more. It should have read: "You bet! I love that when there is just constant action. Great job and glad you had a blast."

Best Regards,
                    Stan

Comment

Anyone with an Android knew what you meant.....dang smartphines

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                        ...Most time, the nicest people are the waterman...
                        +1
                        That's been my observation too.
                        Watermen are the nicest, friendliest, considerate and most helpful folks on the water.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                        X