A Tale of Two Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Rivers

Last week I finally took a day off to spend some quality time on the kayak. Foursteps and I planned on fishing for croaker last Wednesday. I decided to head out in the morning to go out for some crabs and some perch.

The night before, I spent $3 at the dollar store and made a few hand lines.

IMG_0309.jpg

I launched at Jonas around 8am to fish the Severn. Water was nice and calm.

IMG_0315.jpg

Using one of my favorite lures, I began working private piers. I got a few hits, but didn't hook up on any perch. So I went back to those same areas and dropped some bait. This resulted in getting fish in the boat.

After catching a few decent perch, I began crabbing. This was my first time using hand lines. I decided to just set them out freely opposed to tying them off to something (like my kayak). It's pretty entertaining to see how fast a crab can swim off with your bait...float in tow. It was a little bit of a learning curve netting the crabs from the hand line. Totally different than running the trotline. I missed my first 3 or 4 crabs while getting the hang of it. But I began to get them...

IMG_0316.jpg

Knowing we weren't going to exactly be looking to have a crab feast on a wednesday, I was happy when I got my 8th crab. I left with about the same amount of perch. Of the crabs, I had a few BRUISERS at & above the 7" mark...

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I came home early that afternoon to clean the perch and steam the crabs...

IMG_0327.jpg

Lunch was great.

IMG_0334.jpg

Later that afternoon, Foursteps and I made our way down to southern MD. First we stopped at Broomes Island. Winds were higher than forecast...the river had white caps. Doable, but not worth it for bottom fishing for panfish. Being as far as we were, we decided to look to see what conditions were like down at Solomons. Glad we did. Winds were calm, so we waiting till the evening approached...then we launched.

IMG_0337.jpg

We began with a slow pick of a croaker here and there. Annoying toadfish were in full force. Once the sunset began, the flip was switched.

IMG_0338.jpg

We found a school and the action was heavy...so much so that two rods wasn't feasible or necessary. It has been a long time since I've targeted croaker...I forgot how much fun they are on light tackle. Let alone being caught in 46-50 FOW on light tackle.
    <insert witty comment here>

We limited out, needless to say.

IMG_0342.jpg

I filleted my fish the next day in prep for a 4th of July fish fry...
    IMG_0344.jpg

Everyone loves when I bring home fresh fish, including the dog. He loves all types of sashimi...
    IMG_0343.jpg

After prepping the fish, I took the leftover crabs from the previous day and prepped them using a method that Foursteps shared with me. Broiled them with garlic, butter, & old bay. Delicious!

IMG_0347.jpg

At my cousin's house in NC, we had a fish fry for the 4th of July. It was enjoyed by all!

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

[SAMWICH]
    IMG_0412.jpg
    [/SAMWICH]

Comment

Awesome day! Did you put any weights on the hand lines or just a chicken neck on a line?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I used the improper type of line...it wanted to float. So I solved that problem by tying 3 chicken necks to each. That was enough weight to get the baits down to the bottom.

Comment

Awesome job there. No videos lately?

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Way to go Metro! Man, you young guys got a lot of energy. Better enjoy it while you can.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Wow
              Awesome report! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work man, and good reports. Hoping the croaker, and some blues too, make an appearance at the M&G Saturday.

Comment

Reading this made me hungry. Nice job!
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Sweeeeeeeet bro! I like the way you cut the WP [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Cool report. Sounds like a great day. And now I'm hungry for a fries fish sammich!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

'twas a great day indeed.

Goody, I haven't been fishing enough to make vids worth posting lol!

This was my latest vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtPo6tqxOM

Comment

Ok.

Comment

Great report.

I see crabbers in the Severn a lot.

But I bet they do no better than you and your Dollar Store tackle.

Those were some big crabs!
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Always great to hear "twinkle toes"... I mean Four Steps.. gettin' out.
                              Cheers !

Comment

Working...
                              X