Snakehead Fishing 7/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead Fishing 7/14

Since nobody wanted to join me for a mid-day launch @ KN yesterday & it was already hot outside, I switched gears & went snakehead fishing in Indianhead. I launched from Slavin's just before noon. Did I say it was brutally hot? The tide was incoming so I drifted & made casts. I even trolled. A few fish slammed my top water frog but didn't hold on. One nice LMbass jumped w/ my frog then hocked it back to me. I was casting to the shoreline & varying my retrieve. But it was mostly deserted & hot w/ very little signs of life in the water. Halfway to my Outback on this retrieve I turned my head away from my line & whilst I glanced to the opposite shore my frog got slammed! I missed the hit but I set the hook! This fish jumped in the air 4 times, twice almost landing in my kayak! I landed the fat 25" snakehead w/ my small net, knocked it out, then placed it in my fish bag. I had reached my goal for the day so I returned to the launch. It was 4 pm when I got back. I departed to get some ice & some more cold water to drink. What a hot day!

Originally posted by whenican View Post
    [snip]
    I landed the fat 25" snakehead w/ my small net, knocked it out, then placed it in my fish bag.

[snip]
    Nice going! I'd love to bag a snakehead! Let's keep in contact, I'd love to go out with you sometime.
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

That's awesome, I've heard they're tasty. Where is Slavin's? I'd like to try out snakehead fishing, when you go again, let me know. If you want, we could also carpool since I see you're in CC as well.

Comment

The secret to frog fishing (if there is one) is to sharpen the hooks to a triangular point and count saying the words "one thousand one" before setting the hook- then try to break your rod setting the hook...when you think you waited too long, you are right on schedule...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          The secret to frog fishing (if there is one) is to sharpen the hooks to a triangular point and count saying the words "one thousand one" before setting the hook- then try to break your rod setting the hook...when you think you waited too long, you are right on schedule...
          Sometimes I feel that fishing (if I'm in a philosophical mood) is less about catching fish, but more about: enjoying nature, building physical strength/stamina, a joy of encouraging on another, and a certain intellectual puzzle to solve.

I am gradually becoming a better fisherman, but doing well is not just one or two skills. But, a whole series of them. Know how to cast, where to cast, how to retrieve, how to set the hook, etc, etc.

For example, the first time I tried to catch tautog I could not set the hook right. I finally figured out that you let the fish nibble away until you felt a couple of quick jerks, then set the hook.

It is great to have you guys to help me learn
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
            Sometimes I feel that fishing (if I'm in a philosophical mood) is less about catching fish, but more about: enjoying nature, building physical strength/stamina, a joy of encouraging on another, and a certain intellectual puzzle to solve.

I am gradually becoming a better fisherman, but doing well is not just one or two skills. But, a whole series of them. Know how to cast, where to cast, how to retrieve, how to set the hook, etc, etc.

For example, the first time I tried to catch tautog I could not set the hook right. I finally figured out that you let the fish nibble away until you felt a couple of quick jerks, then set the hook.

It is great to have you guys to help me learn

Very true. Also I have yet to catch a tautog, despite fishing for them twice so far. Tricky fish. And as far as I'm concerned, a good day fishing starts with "did I get hurt?" and if the answer's no, then that's a good day. Second is equipment/boat issues, third is actually catching fish. That's what I tell myself at least.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              Very true. Also I have yet to catch a tautog, despite fishing for them twice so far. Tricky fish. And as far as I'm concerned, a good day fishing starts with "did I get hurt?" and if the answer's no, then that's a good day. Second is equipment/boat issues, third is actually catching fish. That's what I tell myself at least.
              If you think togs are light nibblers try sheepshead- if you even think you are getting a bite set the hook...seems like the shell crushers all bite pretty light...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Glad you were able to hook into a snake head and land it! That's definitely something I am going to try before the summer is over.

Comment

hey whenican I'm the guy in the pro angler bud I'm finally on this form never used one before hope I'm doing it right. but its great to hear you got something i didn't get anything going right it was way to hot.

Comment

Working...
                  X