Mattawoman Creek 07/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek 07/23

Going out to find the ever elusive snakies in the am im launchin @5 if anybody wants to join gonna try to beat the heat.

Good Luck with beating the heat- Bill and I fished the 301 bridge thursday evening- it was HOT!!! Today was unbearable hot and it is almost 90 degrees right now- Saturday is supposed to be around 100-

But snakeheads like warm, shallow waters, so you should have decent opportunities to land one or two- take pictures-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Update

Got to the docks at 5:00 a little to dark still for my blood so i hung around on the dock for about 45 minutes throwing out some crank baits from the dock.

Once it finally got a little lighter outside i started unloading all of my gear and heading over to the kayak launch ramp.

started paddling left out of the launch towards the shade ( mind you it might have been 5:00 but it was still about 80 or so degrees outside) i got the chance to finally try out my home made stake out pole. The thing worked like a charm allowing me to stay in one spot and change directions for casting using my anchor trolley. Landed a nice 4 lb LRG mouth bass not to long after that i could hear the drag from another rod that i had out just to josh around and see what else there was for the catching. What do you know a big ol hard head.

All in all i made out with a nice catch 1 Lg mouth 7 hardheads 5 white perch 0 snake heads so for right now the snakies are winning but not for long im going in for revenge agin one day this week.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing that you caught hard heads in mattowoman creek. I thought that was pretty fresh? I would imagine that there are not too many places where you can catch hard head and LMB in the same place. What did you catch the hard head on?

Good work! I really need to get back down there again.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Please, how about a pic of your stake out pole?
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That was a diverse catch for that area. What was the hot lure?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I will upload pics of the catch and the homemade stake out pole this afternoon.

Believe it or not the hot lure was some good ol canadian night crawlers i was actually just throwin those out just for the sake of catching something ( what doesnt eat worms in the water) besides that i had been throwin top water baits all morning in the shallows even workin some crank baits.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Nightcrawlers are always a good insurance policy for avoiding the skunk. I might have to bring some next time I go to mattawoman.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the report. I would have never though Croakers would go that far up river. I would love to see your stake out pole as well. That is a great idea for shallow water fishing.

Comment

Sounds like a plan- I am in Nevada today, but will be home this weekend and hopefully will have all my new equipment rigging complete by next week- I am determined that I am going to catch that "one that got away" when Tuff and I first fished the creek....that was a monster snakehead that wrapped me around a bunch of Lilly pads and thick weeds with 20 pound braid... Caught some really nice bass but the snakes have escaped- that is an intolerable situation I intend to fix and film...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I like that spirit, Ron. One day, yeah, one day....... we're going to get one. It's almost an obsession.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

65lbs braid and a big hunk of perch might help

Comment

Working...
                        X