Goodhands Creek - Aug 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodhands Creek - Aug 1

I have not fished from Goodhands Creek since last fall. I decided to take advantage of the low winds and launched there about noon. The parking lot was nearly empty today.

Low tide was about 11:30, so I had incoming tide for the trip. I trolled with my Native Slayer Propel 10 along my usual routes parallel to shoreline and structure staying in 2.5 to 5' water depth. I trolled 4 lines with paddletails (two were 3" and two were 4") on 1/2-oz jigheads. I found no strong hot spots, but managed to pick up a fish here and there over much of my route. I stopped after 2.5 hours. I caught 16 stripers (all but two were 12”-14”). The other two were 17” and 19”. I also caught a large perch while trolling. There was no breeze this afternoon making it mighty warm.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That's a good count on an abbreviated outing, John.

Let's hope the bigger ones are queuing to move into the area when the water cools as they normally do.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice to see some reports from mid bay, I was beginning to think no fishing was going on up there. 16 fish mid-day is outstanding in my book.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Nice to see some reports from mid bay, I was beginning to think no fishing was going on up there. 16 fish mid-day is outstanding in my book.
        Mike - I have had good success at Goodhands for the past three years from mid-summer to mid-fall. Usually I get a higher percentage of fish in the upper teens -- yesterday was mostly little fish -- and several over 20". I have gotten as high as 27" there in Aug 2014. It should get better as the fall approaches. Plus having higher water levels than yesterday would make fishing near the shore more productive.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sounds like a fun outing- I like fish here and there- keeps things interesting not knowing when or where...16-19 inch rockfish are frisky and a lot of fun on light spinning tackle...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Shallow water fish are fun. I like the fact that regular boats can't really target them.
            Add in the random species that also haunt the skinny water and it's always a fun day.
            Tight lines John.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
            X