Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conowing 8/6, Port Deposit 8/7

Fun weekend fishing the Susquehanna.

Launched at Conowingo (below the dam) on Saturday in hopes of catching some lunch. The channel cats were again uncooperative towards my spoons, so I focused on white perch which were plentiful. In return for the bounty of white perch, the fishing gods decided to take my anchor, oh well, anchoring in the current at Conowingo has always been less than ideal(i.e. terrifying) . Will have to buy a cheap anchor. Fried up the white perch and had fish tacos for lunch.

Sunday, launched just north of Port Deposit in the afternoon for some small mouth. Got three of them before the water release from Conowingo turned my fishing trip into a "pedal as much as possible to stay in one spot," so I called it an evening. Two were caught on rattle traps and got the third one on a shaky head worm(first for me).

i fished above the dam.....way above near muddyrun pump station, .....caught about 20 smallish smb and a little lmb
    Last edited by kevinfry; 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That's awesome! I have never fished that far up! I definitely need to try it! Even small small mouths fight hard and make an enjoyable day

Comment

Originally posted by Tptman View Post
        That's awesome! I have never fished that far up! I definitely need to try it! Even small small mouths fight hard and make an enjoyable day
        yeah...PA license is affordable, ultra light gear an small minnow plugs makes for a good day

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          yeah...PA license is affordable, ultra light gear an small minnow plugs makes for a good day
          My inlaws are from Altoona, so I have my PA license for trout fishing when we go up to visit the rest of their family. Can't wait to get up there and try it out. I know about Conowingo's water release, but is there a dam higher up I need to check out before launching there?

Comment

Two, actually. the Dam and pump station, though flows are nothing like below conowingo

Comment

Fished the Susquehanna just above Harrisburg on Sunday. River was up some, but still caught fish. Looking forward to making another trip up there.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                Two, actually. the Dam and pump station, though flows are nothing like below conowingo
                Do you happen to have contact numbers for these two? I always call up to conowingo(even though its not always accurate)

Also, is there a certain "water release level" that is ideal? I know when conowingo is running 1 small @ 5000cfs I am fine to fish, however more than that makes it a little hairy.

Thanks!

Comment

Lol.....I was just an accidental tourist there last weekend, but I'll try to find something

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you happen to have contact numbers for these two? I always call up to conowingo(even though its not always accurate)

Also, is there a certain "water release level" that is ideal? I know when conowingo is running 1 small @ 5000cfs I am fine to fish, however more than that makes it a little hairy.

Thanks!
                    Google Conowingo generation schedule it's the first link that pops up. I look at the water release patterns for the previous days to get an idea when I can expect them to release water, how much they're going to release, And how fast they will be increasing the flow rate. I only go out when it's under 30,000. I learned the hard way about the current when I first started using my kayak above port deposit. One day The water looked stagnant and I had no trouble until I got close to the 2 big islands where the current was ripping by. I tried to fight it but went no where so I beached on an island to rest and fish from shore. Then I hauled ass straight across the river like a swimmer getting out of a rip tide and made it back to my launch. It's not a big deal if you plan to float down river with different put in and put out points.
                    Jayce
                    2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                    2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Fun weekend fishing the Susquehanna.

Launched at Conowingo (below the dam) on Saturday in hopes of catching some lunch. The channel cats were again uncooperative towards my spoons, so I focused on white perch which were plentiful. In return for the bounty of white perch, the fishing gods decided to take my anchor, oh well, anchoring in the current at Conowingo has always been less than ideal(i.e. terrifying) . Will have to buy a cheap anchor. Fried up the white perch and had fish tacos for lunch.

Sunday, launched just north of Port Deposit in the afternoon for some small mouth. Got three of them before the water release from Conowingo turned my fishing trip into a "pedal as much as possible to stay in one spot," so I called it an evening. Two were caught on rattle traps and got the third one on a shaky head worm(first for me).
                      Do you have a hobie pro angler? I was out Sunday in this area and saw a guy trolling around. I thought that was a bold move in the shallow rocks with the mirage drive. I was on the water from 8am to 1pm and caught 3 smallies, had 2 follow to the boat, and hooked up with one while another was fighting it trying to get my lure and ended up losing them both. The current was dead but a north or south wind can make things tough as it blows right down the river. Saw lots of bait, bluegills, and smallies swimming around.
                      Jayce
                      2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                      2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Working...
                      X