No announcement yet.

weekend flounder trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure my gear will handle 10 oz. I think I will take your advice and try a headboat to learn the technique first and maybe borrow a rod to gear up to what I need to put some flounder in the boat.

Thanks for the advice,

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
      deep water floundering is a bit of a challange and a nasty thing to have to use more than 10 ounces of weight for a flounder.i would sugggest drifting arounder 45 foot and on a 1.5 to 1.8 knot current.keep ur line STRAIGHT down or else it wont work.if u cant get bigg enough strips of crokaer or spot ,simply sow 2 strips 2gether likeu would with ur old pants or something like that.also.take a small rigging needle and use smallllll menhaeden and rig the hook through the mouth and out the anus.flounder love pnut bunker
      First, the guy was trying to ask if anyone had paddled to the cell not how you got there. Second, the cell has some big fish available for much lighter tackle and a bunch more fun when you can get them.

Ive wondered about paddling out too ........ it looks like 2-3 miles from land on the maps but I don't know about a launching point. Was going to look for 1 if I had time the next time I went down there.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. I am interested...especially if metro-man wants to tow me out there or back. I have rods to handle 2-4 oz well and have a nice touch which would be perfect for that scenario.

I have no GPS or FF so I would love to tag along with someone who does. PM me if anyone is interested in the next few weeks.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by chirotrout View Post
          Thank you for clarifying. I am interested...especially if metro-man wants to tow me out there or back. I have rods to handle 2-4 oz well and have a nice touch which would be perfect for that scenario.

I have no GPS or FF so I would love to tag along with someone who does. PM me if anyone is interested in the next few weeks.

Jason
          Easily accomplishable. However, with my daughter starting daycare and my wife going back to work next week, I dunno how much leeway my schedule will allow.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I doubt there is a public launch site within 10 miles of that area. I just scanned google earth and its all private property as far as i can tell.

I did find an interesting link with the loran numbers for the reef.

http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/vsrfdf/p..._reef_grid.pdf

Comment

Jason
              You should have at least a FF out their because the fish are usuallu around the structure and it's scattered .......... they have a fast current too ........ even catch a bunch of spaded there too

Most things around CBBT are 3 to 4 miles away. Islands are about that, Oyster inlet is about that and bouy 36a is a couple miles off Cape Charles ......

Comment

I'm not sure my gear will handle 10 oz. I think I will take your advice and try a headboat to learn the technique first and maybe borrow a rod to gear up to what I need to put some flounder in the boat.

Thanks for the advice,

Jason
                we used a friends rod.we had 4 ugly sticks with a 6'6 and medium heavy action/the ugly stick is very inexpensive and it has a soft tip so u can still feel the bite,even with ten ounces.also pair that up with a reel like a calcutta or abu ambassadeur.with 50 lbs braid.there is ALOT of structure at the cell and big lbs rating braid is very abrasion resistent.also the braid cuts through the water better than mono in depths over 30 feet

Comment

Memory, if you find out the launch point and the distance to the Cell, let us know. I'd be interested.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                  X