Upper, Upper Severn River Tomorrow Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper, Upper Severn River Tomorrow Morning

Im going to take the yak out to the upper Severn in the am and I'm launching out of Indian Landing Boat Club; then heading north as far as physically possible in the kayak. I'm sure this is probably waaayy too far upriver than most would wish to go but I just wanted to explore the area and work my way down to the mouth of the river in later outings... This will be my first time going out to tidal waters and 3rd time on my kayak so it will be a learning experience. Just flipped last week trying to paddle through a small current that was stronger than I expected and lost a good deal of equipment lol.

Anyway, has anyone ever explored this far up the river? Im going to target panfish and may throw a few jigs at some of the docks in the area that I see on google maps.

Will post the results tomorrow in a seperate post. My Hawg Trough came in the mail so expect to see pics of Bluegill that dont come close to the 8 inch mark haha.

Peace!
    -TimH

Perception Striker

Ilbc

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
    Im going to take the yak out to the upper Severn in the am and I'm launching out of Indian Landing Boat Club; then heading north as far as physically possible in the kayak. I'm sure this is probably waaayy too far upriver than most would wish to go but I just wanted to explore the area and work my way down to the mouth of the river in later outings... This will be my first time going out to tidal waters and 3rd time on my kayak so it will be a learning experience. Just flipped last week trying to paddle through a small current that was stronger than I expected and lost a good deal of equipment lol.

Anyway, has anyone ever explored this far up the river? Im going to target panfish and may throw a few jigs at some of the docks in the area that I see on google maps.

Will post the results tomorrow in a seperate post. My Hawg Trough came in the mail so expect to see pics of Bluegill that dont come close to the 8 inch mark haha.

Peace!
    Hi Tim,
    I know that water pretty well. It is silted in up above ILBC pretty harshly. Sadly, it use to support yellow perch and trout further up into Severn Run.
    I think you would have better luck by heading East to the Narrows, the section just before Round Bay. Either way, enjoy and good luck!
    ST

Comment

I'll be out there on my stand up paddleboard. Tight lines!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott taylor View Post
        Hi Tim,
        I know that water pretty well. It is silted in up above ILBC pretty harshly. Sadly, it use to support yellow perch and trout further up into Severn Run.
        I think you would have better luck by heading East to the Narrows, the section just before Round Bay. Either way, enjoy and good luck!
        ST
        Yea that makes sense, it even looks silted by the looks of the aerial map, darn. I may still paddle through just to explore.

I have heard how the Severn was the premier place for trout in the past, and everyone wonders how with the majority of the river being no more than 5 ft wide and less than a foot deep. Ill check out the Narrows though and see what I can come up with, Thanks!
        -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
          I'll be out there on my stand up paddleboard. Tight lines!

Cool man maybe we will cross paths out there! Will you be bringing along a pole? I recently saw video of a guy fishing off a SUP and killin it!
          -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

It was probably me. I troll 2 rods and usually catch a fair amount of rockfish.

Comment

It was probably me. I troll 2 rods and usually catch a fair amount of rockfish.

....if it was on the Severn.

Comment

I have been upstream of Indian Landing several times in my small center console. As Scott noted, it is very shallow there. Keep your eye out for some carp up that way too.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

....if it was on the Severn.

No I am unsure where it was actually... but I don't think it was around here. But I just subscribed to your YT, very intrigued by fishing off a SUP, its hard enough for me to do it from my super stable yak!
                  -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
                    No I am unsure where it was actually... but I don't think it was around here. But I just subscribed to your YT, very intrigued by fishing off a SUP, its hard enough for me to do it from my super stable yak!
                    Cool. Well, if you go east on the Severn I'll be out there. Have fun and tight lines!

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I have been upstream of Indian Landing several times in my small center console. As Scott noted, it is very shallow there. Keep your eye out for some carp up that way too.
                      That is a very exciting tip! Def want to get a good carp fight on light tackle off my bucket list. Its good to know that there is a possibility of sight fishing them there...
                      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I grew up on the north end of Round Bay on the Severn in the 50's and 60's. I recall going to the Severn Run y perch spawning runs thru the 60's. The stream was black with spawning perch up to and past the Discus Mill Rd bridge.

It's sad and disgusting what has happened to that fishery, and to Severn water quality in general. AA Co Govt and the building and development industry have been horrible stewards of the Severn. No storm water management systems, no sediment controls, no mandated public sewer in the critical area, no mandated areas of shoreline buffers, and high density development approved in the critical area until the 1980's. Then they wonder why they can't swim after rain for two days, and why the perch are all but extinct? Give me a break.

The opening of I 97 in 1987 was the final nail in the coffin for the upper Severn. I know this isn't easy to hear, but it must be said; people do not have the right to degrade a public resource as irreplaceable as the Severn River.
                        Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-28-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X