Big fun with little rockfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big fun with little rockfish

Hit the Severn this morning. First hour was dead. Trolled around and did not see any bait, was not marking fish, and only caught one perch. Finally noticed some gulls working and made my way over. There was a massive school of minnows and I tried trolling, jigging, casting, etc. but could not get a bite. After about 20 mins the school had dispersed and I noticed the gulls had moved to the other side of the river. I tied my jig heads with paddletails back on (two on each rod) and headed over.

Just before reaching the action a guy in a jon boat came around behind me, uncomfortably close to my lines, and then cut in front and made a cast. I was not pleased but he wouldn't even look my way. It didn't matter, before I even got to the birds I hooked up with a dink and from there it was on. I started catching them left and right. I probably had two fish hooked up on a rod more often the I just had one. At one point I had three fish on my two rods. It started getting ridiculous, I would cast one rod back to start trolling and as soon as I cast the second rod, I'd hit on the first and while reeling that in I'd hit on the second. I lost a few fish because I couldn't reel in both at the same time. Twice I caught fish when I laid my rod down and the jigs were dangling in the water. When I got the line wrapped around a guide while releasing a fish, I did a little flip motion to fix it and as soon as the jigs hit the water I had another fish on. I couldn't help but laugh. One fish coughed up a couple silversides and I had a couple nice perch mixed in, as well. I tried moving around to look for bigger fish but didn't find much.

Action died down when the tide did, but I caught a couple more dinks on my way back. Of all these fish, ~50 on the day, not a single one was a keeper, but I was fine with that. All but two were between 7-13 inches with one at 15 1/2" and one at 18" (below). Good day to be on the water.

Last edited by Crotalus; 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

They may not be keepers, but it is one fun day to fish like that!! Congrats on a great day on the water. Fun...Fun...Fun....

Yak67
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Working...
    X