Tuesday,bloody Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday,bloody Tuesday

I’ve been out of town the last few days and itching to get on the water. Strong NW winds limited my choices so I opted for Piney Point. Water was very high, but my foot thermometer found the water delightfully cooler than it has been.

Headed under the bridge and saw small bluefish splashes and sure enough my bait was bitten in half almost as soon as I said bluefish to myself. I quickly pulled out a Yo Zuri crankbait and yelled at them, “Let’s see you bite these trebles in half!” . Well the blues didn’t bite but a nice sized rock did. I threw it back. Cast towards some ricks and had a 13” rock on. I was having difficulty getting the hooks out and as I looked for my forceps I felt a sharp prick in my left index finger right behind the knuckle.

Darn, now I was hooked and I had a rock thrashing on the end of the lure. After some delicate maneuvers I got the fish off and then bit the bullet and yanked the hook out of my finger. A small gusher of blood streamed out covering my index and middle finger. I’d only been on the water maybe 10 minutes and wasn’t turning around that early, so I let it bleed adding another layer of patina to my kayak. After a few minutes it stopped and I had a couple of gnarly looking fingers.

Kept fishing (back to a single hook) and got a blue and a bunch of medium sized rocks before they left and dinkville moved in. One of the dinks was in a hard thrashing mood when I pulled him up and next thing I know his dorsal is in my palm and more blood starts to flow. Damn, I know I didn’t have a banana in the boat but was this revenge for mocking the myth.

A couple of minutes later I had a deep hooked fish that was bleeding badly. It covered what little unbloodied flesh I had on my left hand as I got it off the hook. By now my hand looks like a castoff from the Saw movies. At that point I decided it was time to get off the water and clean up.

In the end no keepers, one blue for sushi, and me wondering when my last tetanus shot was.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sorry about your mishaps. That is one of the reasons I avoid using treble hooks. You demonstrated your determination by continuing to fish after a bloody and painful injury.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Should I stop by the butchers shop for one of those metal gloves for you?

Nice to fish with another fellow pin cushion! Put my gloves on last outing, I was so tired of getting stabbed by the dinks.

One still got me it the foot thru the sandals recently��

Yak67
      2016 Outback LE#217

Comment

Every kayak needs a new patina now and again. Sorry for the mishaps.

No bananas for a week!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I keep a wet rag to hold the fish & I cut off the trebles leaving just 1 hook making it easier
          to release the fish but sometimes ya get stabbed by a thrashing peche no matter what you do. I'm glad you got the hook out & didn't faint into the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            ... I was having difficulty getting the hooks out and as I looked for my forceps I felt a sharp prick in my left index finger right behind the knuckle. .....

Ekkkk...... I've got a load of trebles that I'm taking out today. Makes me worry..........

I hope to be bringing home some blues as well. My wife is Chinese and she loves blue fish--but I hate sushi.

BTW: I love to read you posts. Very descriptive and fun to read.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
            X