Homeport Farm launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeport Farm launch

One of the newer water access points in Anne Arundel County is a small facility called Homeport Farm located near the intersection of Rt 2 and Rt 665. I visited there when it was first opened to check out the layout, but did not launch.

Yesterday I wanted to stay close to home but also wanted to try a new spot. I had only about two hours for fishing. I launched from the Homeport Farm launch into Church Creek on the South River. You leave paved Homeport Drive near a small traffic circle and wind around on a dirt track to a small parking area. From there you must haul your kayak along about 400 ft of uneven dirt trail to the water. The upper half is not too bad, but the lower half is steep.

I started by trolling two rods from my Native Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak and planned to head out into the main river. As I approached the creek mouth a rod went down. Over the next hour I caught 8 stripers from 14” to 20” on paddletails working inside the creek mouth. The building waves discouraged me from moving into the river.

For the second hour, I left those fish and began casting a Bignose spinner to shaded shorelines. I quickly found 6 large white perch and then had a surprise yellow perch. It was small and slender, and did not show vivid coloration. Still it was fun to get a yellow after hundreds of white perch this summer.

20160907_144733_resized.jpg

Given my limited time parameters, I did not do an exhaustive exploration of that creek. The creek itself has potential, plus the location (just downstream from the Rt 2 bridge over the South) allow access to the South River headwaters or farther downstream portions of the river.

Coming back up the trail on a hot day was not fun for an old guy with a sore back, but was doable. You definitely want to have a cart here. I am unlikely to visit there often because of the launch logistics, but I will visit occasionally for a change of pace from my preferred Severn spots.

20160907_152201_resized.jpg20160907_152248_resized.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That is not a bad access to the south river. I think it was one of best trips last year with stripers, perch, and pickerel. My only complaint was the rutted trail and traffic on the south river. Some people on this forum have also cited issues with the locals at the road. I didn't have an issue. Nice spot and good access to the the highway.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

John,

If they unceremoniously dropped you in the Anacostia River or the Tidal Basin, you'd come out the other side with fish.

Also, nice to see a yellow perch in the mix there.

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
        Some people on this forum have also cited issues with the locals at the road.
        I had an issue 2-3 years ago at Homeport. When exiting the park, someone had blocked the entrance road with junk, including a couch, an older water heater, and some barbed wire. That was before the county re-routed the entrance to where it is today. Since that incident, and since the county opened the new entrance, I have had no problems.
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

And nice job with the YP, John. I've fished that creek a bunch and have never caught one of those. Three years ago, I caught a small flounder there, which was a bit of a surprise.
          Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

That is a high dollar neighborhood now. I doubt you will get junk piled up like that now. But good to know about that.

Comment

Working...
            X