Topwater, baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topwater, baby!

Yesterday I got off early from work so as to miss the Redskin game traffic.
    I launched into the Chesapeake Bay & I lucked out as there was very little wind blowing.
    After 3 hours of sightseeing & 2 biteoffs from blues I finally hit the jackpot...or I thought I did.
    As the tide started moving out I noticed some baitfish swimming around. I also watched the bird population build from a handful to a stadium-full amount. As I followed them they would take off. Some even protested
    by sitting down on the water. Then my rods started going down one by one. Catching & releasing without tangling up the lines was the order of the day. This all happened as the sun was low on the horizon. Then, I noticed all the birds were gone....but I was still catching. Suddenly, birds returned from all directions. Then the diving & circling began. I was just out of casting reach of the frenzy. So, just for laughs, I started casting some topwater lures that I had cut off the trebles, leaving a single hook where once were 3.
    Wham! 1st cast is a bulky keeper. Bam! 2nd cast after making it sputter on top, gets tail-slapped & crushed by another keeper. A 21" & a 22" just like that.... into my fish bag for dinner. I kept winging my topwater lures in all directions & the keeper or just-below keeper convict bass would give chase & slam my lure. The sun was quickly trying to hide behind the horizon. Even though I had a visicarbon light with me, I turned it on & started my long trek home. I was stoked that I left em biting! Now, why couldn't that have happened to me during the cbka tourney? I caught 6 keeper-sized up to 24.5", kept my limit of 2, released another dozen or so in a very short timeframe. Now, that was fun!

Congrats on your persistence! It clearly paid off.

I am glad to hear they were cooperative.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

That sounds like an absolute blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Sounds like a good day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is fun when everthing comes together.

Comment

Working...
          X