middle bay flounder??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• middle bay flounder??

hey guys.i was thinking of trying flounder fishing around poplar island where there is all of those steep drop offs and troughs.i put my minnow trap out laast week and cot alot so i am going to use bull minnows and gulp for flounder.i am going to try drifting in around 20-30 ft and hopefully get some.i read some reports on tidalfish.com about some flounder up to 24 inches being cot in eastern bay this years at night with bully minnows .i got really exited over tha so i figurd ill give it a shot,has anyone else cot flounder around tpl or eastern bay?

I'm not sure about the poplar island area. Last year when we launched from Tilghman island i gave up about half way to the island. Its a long paddle for a kayak. I'm assuming your in a boat so go get um. That area looks really good.

Comment

we have caught flounder at the steep edge north of 84A on the west side of poplar. The fish were holding right on the steep slope in 18-24 feet of water. We slow trolled along the edge to keep in the right depth. This was back in 2009 though and seems there were more flounder around everywhere that year. Fish were caught on fluke teasers with long strips of bluefish fillet on a three way swivel with a good bit of lead to keep touch with the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by muldoon View Post
        we have caught flounder at the steep edge north of 84A on the west side of poplar. The fish were holding right on the steep slope in 18-24 feet of water. We slow trolled along the edge to keep in the right depth. This was back in 2009 though and seems there were more flounder around everywhere that year. Fish were caught on fluke teasers with long strips of bluefish fillet on a three way swivel with a good bit of lead to keep touch with the bottom.
        we used htat rigs in va.the old deep water flounder rig.we are going for flounder 2moorw.cot 3 blues 2day in bloodworsm.frozem for bait

Comment

A few years ago when I had my Parker, I would occasionally see light tackle guides anchored or drifting on the steep dropoff just west of Poplar Island to target flounder. This is in the vicinity of buoys 84 and 84A. They would jig flounder or minnow baits and do fairly well for flounder. I tried it a few times without much luck.

However, as someone else noted, it is a bit of a paddle to get out there. Plus it is wide open water a mile or more from shore -- you will not have any place to quickly seek shelter if the weather or boat wakes make the waters too rough.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            A few years ago when I had my Parker, I would occasionally see light tackle guides anchored or drifting on the steep dropoff just west of Poplar Island to target flounder. This is in the vicinity of buoys 84 and 84A. They would jig flounder or minnow baits and do fairly well for flounder. I tried it a few times without much luck.

However, as someone else noted, it is a bit of a paddle to get out there. Plus it is wide open water a mile or more from shore -- you will not have any place to quickly seek shelter if the weather or boat wakes make the waters too rough.
            a friends of mine cot 6 the other night in easternbay with bluefish skins

Comment

Working...
            X