Romancoke (7/29/11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romancoke (7/29/11)

Had a nice day out at the coke today. We hit it early to try to beat the heat. We had a n00b with us today...my soon to be brother in law. He fishes, but never has kayak fished. Grady-Black was nice enough to loan my buddy his newly acquired OK drifter. It worked out just fine for today!

We paddled to our fishing spot to fine it a bit slower than last week. We picked off a few here and there...spot, white perch. After a while mytmouse started getting a couple of croaker. We arrived at the tail end of the incoming tide. After an hour or so, the tide went slack, so you know how the pace of fishing went. Luckily, my brother in law was able to get in on a few fish before the bite died totally.

After a while, the outgoing began to pick up. I picked off a few here and there, as did my brother in law, and Foursteps24. Mytmouse hooked into some BIG croaker...maybe about 16-17". Bastard. I got a 14 incher, but when it hit, I had some company in the form of a 12" striper. That was a nice little battle.

It was a good time out there. My brother in law had a great time. Perfect day for a first timer.

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

Romancoke has a great variety of fish to be had. Today I caught spot, perch, croaker, striper, and a bluefish.

Below is a pic of me hooked into my croaker and a 12" striper. That was fun.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MetroMan; 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

glad you guys had a good day on coke!! in the pic's the water looks dead calm.... that had to be a bit of a bonus.... but a slight breeze i bet would have been welcome with the heat today. thanks for the report and the pic's!!

Comment

nice work gents! with the wind blowing like it was in reston it loooks pretty calm there. hope its like that in the morning.

Comment

Great job! Great pics, too. How do all you guys get to fish on a workday?!?!

Comment

It was really calm... actually TOO calm! The drifts were slow... That coupled with the anorexic blood worms we got from angler's hurt our catch. But it was still a great day to be on the water with good folk! I gotta go through my vids and see if I got my HORSE croaker on vid. I was too tired to take pics when I got home! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                . How do all you guys get to fish on a workday?!?!
                Stars & moons align for me every now and then.

Comment

I've never been there. I'll have to try it soon, you guys keep posting some nice hauls on these recent trips.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I’m glad you guys had a good day. My buddy and I launched at Matapeake and decided to paddle to the bridge. I had one get on the line, but lost him on the reel in. Other than that, not one other fish for either or us. But it was still fun and a good paddle.
                    Don
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I had a ball. I cleaned my fish when I got home and ended with 15 Jumbo Spot, 2 huge croaker and a couple of perch. I get to fish on fridays because I only work 4 days a week and Im off every friday. Im still in my 2 week vacation because I git married 2 weeks ago and I am still on "honeymoon status" from work. If anybody wants to head to this location let me know.

Comment

Definitely need to do a night trip...

Comment

bait.

was anyone using fishbites. I have had quite a bit of luck with them. I use the bloodworm. and the shrimp

Comment

Foursteps caught quite a few on fb bw

Comment

never used fish bites...???? do they work well.....??? compareded to actual bait.....??? curious what you experience has been......????

Comment

Working...
                              X