Homeport Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeport Park

Thinking the winds might be up this morning, I launched from Homeport Park around 8. I trolled two rods with a 4" swim shad & a 3/4 jig with a large paddletail. About 2/3 down the creek I hooked a nice fat 18" on the 4"swim shad. Headed for rocks on right side point- hooked one schooly. Moved over to point on left side by wooded bulkhead and landed a nice 22". Paddled out of mouth to right and left-nothing. Landed a 16" near white buoy at mouth. Tried casting a popper for a while-had a few hits but no hookups. Got off water by 10. Guess the cloud cover knocked down the winds this AM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Hi John, I hit it at around 3:30 this afternoon–wound up with an 18 inch or right side rip rap. The winds picked up fiercely add that to the monstrous boat traffic and it was quite an adventure. Good thing I love paddling as much as fishing!
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

The rip rap is a good spot for me as well as a point on the left closer to the mouth. Really enjoy Home port, not much fishing pressure-yet! Nice
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

john, Harlan,

You guys are locked in there.

Good jobs.

It is a nice spot. Wish I could get there more often.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Homeport is the closest launch to my house, but I have only been there once. The convenience of Jonas/Weems is too much to pass up most days. But maybe I should be less lazy.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

The fish were biting again today at Homeport. I caught 13 stripers to 20" in 2.5 hours -- most were fat 16"-17" fish. All fish hit 3" or 4" paddletails. The wind was not too bad. The water level was low. There were few leaves floating on the surface. Very soon the trees will unload their leaves and make trolling in that creek impractical for a while.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Drew,
              Home port is a nice alternative to the Severn when the winds are howling.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

How is launching there without a cart? It seems like a good distance from the car to the water.
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

It's about 200 yds to water on a slight downhill walk. Could be difficult without a cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                    How is launching there without a cart? It seems like a good distance from the car to the water.

According to the distance estimator on Google maps,it is about 400 ft from the parking area to the shoreline. You could carry a kayak with a partner, but to come back uphill carrying a 65-80 lb fishing kayak by yourself would be quite a chore.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses- I may head elsewhere if I'm heading out alone. Does the creek hold pickerel in the colder months?
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

To be determined, but hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                        X