Sometimes being lazy works out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes being lazy works out

I got off of work a little before 4pm. I had been planning to race out and hit the water. The upcoming end to Daylight Savings time had me paranoid of diminished opportunities to get out after work.

The winds were light, the tide was flooding and Tides4Fishing was rating the day at 6 fish! Everything was in alignment - except my motivation level.

After leaving work, I wasn't feeling it at all. I was strongly considering just chilling out in my favorite chair, but I knew I would regret the missed opportunity if I did. I drove to the launch to scope out the water and to give myself some motivation.

I decided to go out, but stick close to my favorite perch / pickerel cove. I only brought Ultralight gear and figured I would try for pickerel and schoolie bass.

It didn't take long to connect with some mid teen rocks and enjoyed playing them on the light rod. I started targeting Picks and quickly landed a 14", then a 21" that tail danced across the surface.

As I continued to fish the same area, I ceased getting hit so I retrieved my bait and paced my rod down on the deck, leaving the Z-mann dangling in 2' of water.

As I picked up the paddle to relocate, the rod bent and I thought I was snagged on the bottom. That was until I saw a large Pickerel swimming away with my bait that had been under my boat.

Once I landed him, he measured at 23 3/4"- just barely short of Citation size..... I was stunned that such a fish would hit in the way that he did. I am not sure if he followed (I didn't see him) or was lingering under my boat. Either way, I was incredibly elated!

DSCN4309.jpg

After another round with the bass, I tried for more Pickerel. I was stoked when I brought a 13" Yellow Perch over the rail. I had never seen one that big!

DSCN4312.jpgDSCN4314.jpg

More bass, another couple of Pickerel - 17" and 22" - and a couple of white perch (shouldn't they be deep by now?) rounded out the 2.5 hour jaunt.

DSCN4315.jpgDSCN4316.jpg

Needless to say, my lack of energy had vanished and I was glad that I got out. It sure beat sitting and vegetating in front of the TV!
    Last edited by EMSer; 11-02-2016, 05:38 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

wow, great trip!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Amen! Very nice Bruce!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That's one huge perch! I can't tell you how many fish I've caught while the bait was just laying there and I was screwing around with some other problem. Wish I had the patience to do it intentionally.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
          that's one huge perch! I can't tell you how many fish i've caught while the bait was just laying there and i was screwing around with some other problem. Wish i had the patience to do it intentionally.
          lol!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, congrats!
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Beautiful yellow perch!

Comment

Nice, great trip

Comment

Working...
                X