Lower slower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower slower

Headed out for an early morning trip Thursday morning- launching at first light from Piney Point- will update with results in an after action report...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Hit the launch at daylight-fished alone today- tried the area around the bridge pulling eel and swimbaits-caught mostly 16-17 inch dinks- fun to catch but not what I was looking for so I decided to head down the creek and fish the 15 foot channel with a XR-12 Xrap and 7 inch Tsunami holographic eel- trolled down to the mouth of St. George's Creek and St. Mary's River by the breakwater and I found some nice keeper (really fat) stripers- got my limit with a 23 and a 25 then it was catch and release- got home at 11 am- the two fish produced six pounds of boneless, skinless filets for the table...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Hit the launch at daylight-fished alone today- tried the area around the bridge pulling eel and swimbaits-caught mostly 16-17 inch dinks- fun to catch but not what I was looking for so I decided to head down the creek and fish the 15 foot channel with a XR-12 Xrap and 7 inch Tsunami holographic eel- trolled down to the mouth of St. George's Creek and St. Mary's River by the breakwater and I found some nice keeper (really fat) stripers- got my limit with a 23 and a 25 then it was catch and release- got home at 11 am- the two fish produced six pounds of boneless, skinless filets for the table...

Great report! Do you buy the Tsunami holographic eel's with or without the weights and hooks? If you buy them with Hooks and weights, I read that the 7 inch comes with a 1.25 weight. Is that enough to get them deep enough??

Thanks,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

With weight and hook- and I caught the 23 inch fish on it...along with many 18-22 inch fish- the 25 inch fish crushed the XRap...I was using 10# braid on a 2500FE Sustain reel on a 7' Shimano SE Teramar medium spinning rod for the eel- you can control depth by letting more line out- and slowing down the trolling speed- I was trolling at 2.88 knots for the XRap crankbait- it was tied on 30# braid - Revo NaCl Winch 50 on a 6'6" St. Croix Avid X medium heavy rod
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-03-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Great job Ron. .....I'm fishing vicariously through you these days.......the eel bait intrigues me

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            With weight and hook- and I caught the 23 inch fish on it...along with many 18-22 inch fish- the 25 inch fish crushed the XRap...I was using 10# braid on a 2500FE Sustain reel on a 7' Shimano SE Teramar medium spinning rod for the eel- you can control depth by letting more line out- and slowing down the trolling speed- I was trolling at 2.88 knots for the XRap crankbait- it was tied on 30# braid - Revo NaCl Winch 50 on a 6'6" St. Croix Avid X medium heavy rod
            Rod,
            Thanks so much! I read all your posts and try to learn. One of these days, I get this right.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
            X