Topwater saves the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topwater saves the day!

I had a customer this morning that was telling me how hot his Rocktober had been fishing from the banks of the South. His stories set off the itch. After seeing the pics from supfisher01's post about life in the Severn, I arranged for someone to cover the last 2 hours of my shift. I had to take advantage of the beautiful day and really wanted to go up and hit some side tribs off the Severn to be sure that all the fish weren't hiding in them.

I arrived at the launch at about 2pm and met some boat fisherman coming in from across the Severn. They told stories of plenty of keeper bass working peanuts in "The creek with the house at the mouth..." I weighed their data and opted not to cross the river to search for the mysterious creek The wind was blowing harder than I had anticipated straight up the river and I wanted to stick with my plan and not chase rumors.

I caught my first dink as I rounded a point and headed towards the next creek to the west. I spoke to some guys in a boat that came by to check out my rig and get intel from me. They had been crabbing all day and not seen any bait or rockfish. They were convinced that the fish had left the river.

I got another dink on the way and I could see the writing on the wall as to how the day was going to go.

I wanted to make a pass in a small creek to see if there was any bait trapped in there. The tide had only just started to flood and I was hoping that I might find life. I did a loop, found nothing and headed up to the next creek. I planned to stop back on my way in to see if fish moved in during the interim.

Upon arrival at my next stop, iI again found zero signs of life, so I went to the back and used my UL rod to try for pickerel. I was working on the theory that the tide needed to mature and flush more bait into the creek while I was playing with the Picks.

I failed to find any Pickerel. so I worked the mouth a little bit before bouncing up one more trib. It was dry as well. I caught dinks in both places, but nothing bigger than 17". I was starting to feel discouraged....

I returned to to my previous site and found more of the same. There were some better marks, but they did not bite.

By this point, it was approaching sundown and I was assessing where I wanted to be during the witching hour - low light with high topwater potential. I was deciding between 2 likely spots where I knew there would be favorable structure

As I scoped out the first, I saw some peanut bunker breaking the surface and took that as a sign that I was in the best place possible. As I was moving into position, an elderly couple came out of the creek mouth in an old Boston Whaler that was coughing smoke. It was clear they were out for some late day fishing. They looked at me like was crazy for fishing where I was, but I just smiled and waved.

As soon as they moved on, I started casting to the channel that lead from the mouth of the creek. On the second cast, I caught a strong 19"er. More casts led to more of the same. Almost all were in the upper teens to lower 20's. My favorite was a fish that exploded on my Smakit Jr, but missed. I let the lure sit for a few seconds before giving it another small twitch. Then, BAMMM!! It crushed it again and started peeling drag. I few minutes later, I landed and very healthy 23" - my biggest for the night.

What was odd was that the school of Peanut Bunker kept working the area, but nothing was working it. Every time I cast towards them, I came up empty. I was confounded by this, since there were clearly fish in the area.

The flurry lasted until the sun went down. During that half hour, I caught over a dozen fish - a couple 14s but the rest were all upper teens along with a 20", 2x21"s and the 23". All the while, the couple in the Whaler kept staring at me trying to figure out why I was catching and they were not.

Content in fact that my back up plan had paid off, I headed for home, thanking the fishing gods for providing some topwater to salvage the day. The waxing moon was just a sliver but very bright. It made the paddle up river especially beautiful.

There are definitely still fish in the river. It just seems that you have to get lucky and be there when they are (more so than usual) and when they are in the mood to bite. It is nothing like last year when they were everywhere and more than willing to play. They seem especially schizophrenic lately.

DSCN4318.jpgDSCN4319.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 11-02-2016, 11:25 PM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
    I had a customer this morning that was telling me how hot his Rocktober had been fishing from the banks of the South. His stories set off the itch. After seeing the pics from supfisher01's post about life in the Severn, I arranged for someone to cover the last 2 hours of my shift. I had to take advantage of the beautiful day and really wanted to go up and hit some side tribs off the Severn to be sure that all the fish weren't hiding in them.

I arrived at the launch at about 2pm and met some boat fisherman coming in from across the Severn. The told stories of plenty of keeper bass working peanuts in "The creek with the house at the mouth..." I weighed their data and opted not to cross the river since the wind was blowing harder than I had anticipated straight up the river. I wanted to stick with my plan and not chase rumors.

I caught my first dink as I rounded a point and headed towards the next creek to the west. I spoke to some guys in a boat that came by to check out my rig and get intel from me. They had been crabbing all day and not seen any bait or rockfish. They were convinced that the fish had left the river.

I got another dink on the way and I could see the writing on the wall as to how the day was going to go.

I wanted to make a pass in a small creek to see if there was any bait trapped in there. The tide had only just started to flood and I was hoping that I might find life. I did a loop, found nothing and headed up to the next creek. I planned to stop back on my way in to see if fish moved in during the interim.

Upon arrival at my next stop, iI again found zero signs of life, so I went to the back and used my UL rod to try for pickerel. I was working on the theory that the tide needed to mature and flush more bait into the creek while I was playing with the Picks.

I failed to find any Pickerel. so I worked the mouth a little bit before bouncing one more trib. It was dry as well. I caught dinks in both places, but nothing bigger than 17". I was starting to feel discouraged....

I returned to to my previous site and found more of the same. There were some better marks, but they did not bite.

By this point, it was approaching sundown and I was assessing where I wanted to be during the witching hour - low light with high topwater potential. I was deciding between 2 likely spots where I knew there would be favorable structure

As I scoped out the first, I saw some peanut bunker breaking the surface and took that as a sign that I was in the best place possible. As I was moving into position, an elderly couple came out of the creek mouth in an old Boston Whaler that was coughing smoke. It was clear they were out for some late day fishing. They looked at me like was crazy for fishing where I was, but I just smiled and waved.

As soon as they moved on, I started casting to the channel that lead from the mouth of the creek. On the second cast, I caught a strong 19"er. More casts led to more of the same. Almost all were in the upper teens to lower 20's. My favorite was a fish that exploded on my Smakit Jr, but missed. I let the lure sit for a few seconds before giving it another small twitch. Then, BAMMM!! It crushed it again and started peeling drag. I few minutes later, I landed and very healthy 23" - my biggest for the night.

What was odd was that the school of Peanut Bunker kept working the area, but nothing was working it. Every time I cast towards them, I came up empty. I was confounded by this, since there were clearly fish in the area.

The flurry lasted until the sun went down. During that half hour, I caught over a dozen fish - a couple 14s but the rest were all upper teens along with a 20", 2x21"s and the 23". All the while, the couple in the Whaler kept staring at me trying to figure out why I was catching and they were not.

Content in fact that my back up plan had paid off, I headed for home, thanking the fishing gods for providing some topwater to salvage the day. The waxing moon was just a sliver but very bright. It made the paddle up river especially beautiful.

There are definitely still fish in the river. It just seems that you have to get lucky and be there when they are (more so than usual) and when they are in the mood to bite. It is nothing like last year when they were everywhere and more than willing to play. They seem especially schizophrenic lately.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20362[/ATTACH]
    Nice! Glad you got on them!!

Comment

I wish I would have read your post more carefully about going deep. I could have saved a lot of effort....
      Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
      Nice! Glad you got on them!!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Impressive!!! I was there too tonight. This was my first time back on the Severn in two months (I've been busy). I got nothing. No bites, no nothing. Not even any perch. Which seems funny, since the guys on the Jonas Green pier were getting perch bottom fishing...

So, I'm doing something seriously wrong. A guy, tonight told me since the water is colder, I should be retrieving slower--then in summer. Is that true??

Second, with your top water work, it sounded like you cast then just twitch the lure. Do you retrieve it slow then?? Do you tend to catch fish on just the casting and twitching???

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Perch go deep in the colder months. The water gets pretty deep right off the pier. They are likely congregating there before heading to their winter haunts. The same tactics you use in the summer might not work if you are not getting down to them.

Were you fishing topwater? If so, it is very important to do so in an area that they are fairly close to the surface. I was fishing along a channel that had 3-4' of shallow water next to it

I don't think colder water warrants a slower retrieve. The fish are busy getting fat for the winter and are very aggressive. They can catch anything they put their mind to. I have caught fish in January fishing the the speed as in the summer (trolling). When I am fishing topwater, I do use a fairly slow retrieve if the water is calm and a faster one if it is rougher - need to get their attention amongst the surface disturbance. I am always retrieving, just at different speed, based on the circumstance. The one exception is after missed blow up. Bass will often stun a fish by knocking them out of the water and then eat them before they recover. My paused retrieve tonight was to imitate that.
          Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
          Impressive!!! I was there too tonight. This was my first time back on the Severn in two months (I've been busy). I got nothing. No bites, no nothing. Not even any perch. Which seems funny, since the guys on the Jonas Green pier were getting perch bottom fishing...

So, I'm doing something seriously wrong. A guy, tonight told me since the water is colder, I should be retrieving slower--then in summer. Is that true??

Second, with your top water work, it sounded like you cast then just twitch the lure. Do you retrieve it slow then?? Do you tend to catch fish on just the casting and twitching???

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Nice work, Bruce. I caught a couple dozen on topwater myself this AM on the other side of the pond. All feeding between 2-3 feet of water.
            Michael
            Washington, DC
            Hobie Outback

Comment

When you guys talk about fishing topwater, what are you throwing at the fish? Some sort of walk the dog bait, or a popper?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                When you guys talk about fishing topwater, what are you throwing at the fish? Some sort of walk the dog bait, or a popper?
                I use both. Yesterday it was a popper. If the water is calm, I throw a spook
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Don't know if it means anything at all but will throw it out there as I saw mention of slow retrieves.

Got out on the Magothy and Potapsaco this week. I did notice a little strangeness that I had not run into before. I had an inordinate amount of bites when my paddletails were just being picked up slightly off the bottom. First couple of time it was unintentional. Having one rig in the water and getting another setup ready for trolling or just getting lazy and taking a break but leaving my lines in the water. Like clockwork with the frst paddle stroke, the slight movement of lifting the lure off bottom I would trigger hit. Happened again and again enough that I started using it as a technique.

It even worked when I was on top of a actively feeding school. Very few hits casting to the school with a swift retrieve but the slow lift would do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                    Don't know if it means anything at all but will throw it out there as I saw mention of slow retrieves.

Got out on the Magothy and Potapsaco this week. I did notice a little strangeness that I had not run into before. I had an inordinate amount of bites when my paddletails were just being picked up slightly off the bottom. First couple of time it was unintentional. Having one rig in the water and getting another setup ready for trolling or just getting lazy and taking a break but leaving my lines in the water. Like clockwork with the frst paddle stroke, the slight movement of lifting the lure off bottom I would trigger hit. Happened again and again enough that I started using it as a technique.

It even worked when I was on top of a actively feeding school. Very few hits casting to the school with a swift retrieve but the slow lift would do the trick.
                    This is a technique that a lot of fishermen use when they know there are fish holding in one area (jigging). But with jigging, your jig lure is in a perpetual up and down motion hitting bottom to replicate a fish that's trying to get it's meal as well.

Sounds like you had a fun outing. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                      I use both. Yesterday it was a popper. If the water is calm, I throw a spook

There's also a spook chugger combo that chugs and walks at the same time that I've found effective. All three can work. Add further appeal by using one with a deep rattle.
                      Michael
                      Washington, DC
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                        This is a technique that a lot of fishermen use when they know there are fish holding in one area (jigging). But with jigging, your jig lure is in a perpetual up and down motion hitting bottom to replicate a fish that's trying to get it's meal as well.

Sounds like you had a fun outing. Congrats!
                        I hear you and am aware of what jigging is. I tried it but typical straight up and down jigging wasn't quite doing the trick. It was more of a super slow but yet forward motion that was triggering the hits. Almost more like you retrieve a texas rigged worm for bass with good long pauses to let the bait sit and then a very slight slight up and forward retrieve.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                          I hear you and am aware of what jigging is. I tried it but typical straight up and down jigging wasn't quite doing the trick. It was more of a super slow but yet forward motion that was triggering the hits. Almost more like you retrieve a texas rigged worm for bass with good long pauses to let the bait sit and then a very slight slight up and forward retrieve.
                          Gotcha. Great job adapting and catching.

Comment

Working...
                          X