Magothy River 11/2 and 11/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy River 11/2 and 11/5

Fished the lower Magothy Wednesday afternoon and this afternoon as well, both times until it got dark. For both trips I fished between 13-18ft and caught the majority of my fish on 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig head with 4 inch paddle tails.

On Wednesday I fished the incoming tide and instead of fishing the mouth as usual I decided to change it up and head up river. I wasnt marking fish so I went across the river and made a pass alongside Dobbins Island. Jackpot. For the next two hours I got into dozens of fish in 13-15ft. Probably 40 fish total between 18 and 25 inches. The bulk were of the 18inch variety. This was one of those anomalous days that makes up for all the skunks!

Today there wasn't nearly as much action. The river had leaves and debris that kept fouling my lures. I was able to pick up a 21 alongside Dobbins in the same place I tried Wednesday. I decided to head to the mouth and picked up some 14-16 inchers along the way. Plenty more dinks in the bay once I left the river. Birds were out and about but I could only catch dinks near them. On my way back into the magothy in about 18 ft I hooked up with a 23 inch football. It pulled drag like a larger fish. It was getting dark so I headed home.

My deeper lures arent fairing well. I tried heavier bucktails with shad or twister tails, but not too much luck. The zman opening night and pearl have been the ticket.

20161105_172510.jpg
    20161105_190416.jpg

Excellent work!!

Comment

That's a taste of "Rocktober" in November.

Congratulations.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Now, That's what I'm talking about!! Nicely done
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Super job! I went out in the Magothy yesterday too, with limited success---nothing for an hour, then a flurry of fish for 30 minutes, then nothing. May try Monday morning....

Comment

Around dobbin island has been money for me as well. My friend was fishing around there off his boat and said he snagged a large, unmarked net, so definitely be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
              Super job! I went out in the Magothy yesterday too, with limited success---nothing for an hour, then a flurry of fish for 30 minutes, then nothing. May try Monday morning....
              I'm getting out one day this week, just not sure when. Maybe we can link up!

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                Around dobbin island has been money for me as well. My friend was fishing around there off his boat and said he snagged a large, unmarked net, so definitely be careful.
                Thanks for the tip. Was the net on the frontside of the island?

Comment

I think it was on the back side, between the island with the lighthouse and dobbin. Not completely sure, I was just hearing about it secondhand.

Comment

I am heading out Wednesday morning, if anyone wants to connect
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                    X