A daunting return on the Severn 11/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A daunting return on the Severn 11/5

So I went out yesterday right at sunrise with Supfisher, and we went a few miles downriver to roundbay (I think?, not too familiar with the area), and chased a bunch of birds. When we first showed up, there were only about 2-3 other boats, but within an hour, that grew to about 10 other boats and 3 other kayakers, which was cool to see. I stuck mainly to smaller groups of birds or just outside of them, away from most other people, and caught about 10-12 undersize rockfish, all trolling 1/4-1/2 jigs and paddletails. Then I paddled up to the other kayakers just to say hello, and got a nice fat 22" rockfish right beside them, in maybe 4ft of water. The wind started to pick up slightly, and I figured with abundant open beaches around, might as well beach and stretch while I've got the chance after 3 hours of solid paddling. So I radio'd steve (supfisher) and he came over to join me. In the meantime, about 50 yards from shore, I thought I would cast around a bit, and I saw a long torpedo shape follow my paddletail out of the shallows once (I was thinking pickerel, have never caught one, but have caught pike before). So I cast a little farther back, and wham! big hit. Got it to the boat and it was a nice fat 22-23", quickly measured against my paddle, and then released. Then steve and I beached and talked a bit, as the wind picked up even more. Then he started to head back, and I decided to cast my zman around a bit more, and got another nice 22" pickerel. It was nice to get a new species from the boat, and 2 large ones (I think?) at that. Then I trolled along shore once more in the spot where the keeper hit, and was unsuccessful. Then I started back towards our launch, and those 3-ish miles were absolute hell. I wasn't out of breath or anything, but paddling back in sustained 20+mph winds with gusts of 25-30mph directly into me was pretty hard. I stopped once to take a 5 min break and stretch my arms, and then continued back. I don't know what my speed was, but I know it probably took me 90 mins to paddle back, as compared to only an hour or so in the morning. trolled the whole way back (a.b.t.) and didn't get any more fish, and overall, the day was certainly worth it. But man, anyone who said fishing is a lazy man's sport has not tried kayak fishing, much less into the wind. As they say, pics, or it didn't happen. Also, I didn't know I was only about 1.5" from an angler award!
    Attached Files

Another pic of the 2nd pickerel, the first one might've been larger, but I don't think it was over 23", at least I hope it wasn't. SevernPickerel3_11_6_16.jpg

Comment

Congratulations bro! I remember the first time I caught a Pickerel. I had just started fishing and had no idea what was on my line! LOL I remember calling out to another kayaker saying "dude! I caught something with teeth and have no idea what it is!"

They are fun to catch indeed, especially in the sizes you caught them!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice work, buddy!

Comment

I was very nervous around their toothy mouths but luckily (and this might be common idk) I hooked both right in the tip of their snouts, so I could just grip them farther down and safely remove the hook. Seeing the one come out of the shallows and chase my lure was pretty cool. The second one hit my lure when it was nearly stationary, only about 5 ft from my kayak.

Comment

...and the paddle home was such a treat!😂😂😂

Comment

Nice job!

My first pickerel was traumatic for both of us:

I was freezing, my hands were very numb, and he got free when I was taking a picture, that one blurry one was the best of the lot.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                I was very nervous around their toothy mouths but luckily (and this might be common idk) I hooked both right in the tip of their snouts, so I could just grip them farther down and safely remove the hook. Seeing the one come out of the shallows and chase my lure was pretty cool. The second one hit my lure when it was nearly stationary, only about 5 ft from my kayak.
                Yea they are slimy too. As you figured out hold the skull, I usually hold them from the top though.
                A de hooker will be your friend, or atleast a flat headed screw driver with a notch cut out with a dremel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X