Plo, 7/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plo, 7/30

I met up with Michael (redfish12) and his lady-friend, Samantha, at PLO to hunt for some flounder after seeing Joe's (comeonfish) video from last week. I hit the water at around 8am.

I started off working the grassy areas and riprap for some puppy drum, but it was dead low tide, which isn't the most productive time. No hits. Then I started jigging the inlet for flounder while dragging a bottom rig for spot. Still no luck. The wind was blowing pretty steady out of the north which made for pretty fast drifts.

I saw some birds sitting on the water out in Cornfield Harbor, so I hauled it out there while trolling a #13 Tony spoon. The birds were just hanging around some discarded crab bait.

I went back to the inlet and met up with Michael and company, and we headed out to look for some flounder. The wind was really crazy out in Cornfield Harbor, even though the buoy said it was only blowing around 12 and gusting to 15-16mph. It felt much stronger than that, I and was drifting close to 1mph. We found some humps and started working them for flounder and croaker and still had no luck. I picked up a 16" striper that fought like a bluefish on the Tony spoon, so at least I got the skunk off my boat.

We headed to the area just north of the pound net to get out of the wind. I started working my way shallower and shallower trying to find some spot without even a nibble. I got out on shore to mark my territory and to pick up some jugs of Yamalube I saw on the beach. When I got back in, my rudder wouldn't turn. I got back out, checked the rudder, and saw that the port side line had broken. Then the flies descended on me. Fortunately, I had some bug spray, which fended them off long enough for me to MacGyver a temporary fix with some 20lb fluoro, but I still couldn't turn to port very well. I decided to head back to the marina because I didn't want to fight the wind and current without full use of the rudder, and I wanted to see if I could get it fixed at Bluhaven that day. Of course, that was when the croakers started biting.

I didn't want to end the day on a bad note, so I tried for some spot and puppy drum again back at the marina. I picked up three 9" spot for dinner, but no puppy drum:

I swung by Bluhaven to see if they could fix my rudder cable. They were closing early, so I left my yak there and will pick it up later this week. The repair price was reasonable and much preferred compared to sweating, cursing, and offending the neighbors while trying to fix it myself in my shed.

Anyway, the water temp was 84-85*, and the salinity was ~12. Things are slowly getting back to normal. It was good fishing with Michael again and meeting Samantha. Unfortunately, my pics of the kayak fishing couple came out blurry, probably because we were drifting so fast.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Tough luck on the rudder cable. I hope you can fix it quickly and be back on the water in a few days.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

17", 16", 15" croaker tonight....then the toads descended. Really ruined the evening.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Big croakers? Where at PLO?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

off Elms Beach Park, St Mary's Co

Comment

Good fishing with you Bill!! We stayed out on the water till about 6:30 and went way too far. We started fishing between the oyster bars out there and I had several for sure flounder bites, but we both pulled the hook before they really had the bait. I had a few hit the gulp bucktail combo too. Oh well! The side effect was some nice croaker and a few blues. I had the most flounder bites on the bluefish. The last drift we fished from the inlet all the way out to the 4 legged tower. It was kinda by accident but we had bites the whole drift so we just kept going! Unfortunately it was long long paddle back against the wind and the tide!

We brought home some jumbo spot and some 12 - 14 inch croaker. My girlfriend loved catching the croaker!!! All in all a great day and we're both sore from it, but it was worth it.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Michael--Holy cow! You guys really covered some ground. My GPS said 6 miles when I quit (at least half of that was drifting, though). I was wondering when you guys called if you had been out the entire time. Glad to hear Samantha liked catching the croaker.

Kevin--You've got the nice croaker dialed in. I'll have to join you one night.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

you have my #. Will be out with my son Wednesday night weather permitting.

Comment

Working...
                X