No announcement yet.

Metapeake, Sat 8-6-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wx was fairly good, but the catching was something else.

I hit the water about 0630 hrs. There were about 6-7 other guys on the water. Didn't seem like there were many marked fish. I caught only four 8-9" spot using shrimp and bws. The other guys had spotty catches: spot (fair number of), small blue, and shorty rocks. Not sure if any croakers were caught.

Since the catching wasn't exactly stellar, we started back in after 3-4 hours.

Hey, good to meet medicyaker, Bassman27 and Shield for the first time. (Bassman, if you want more info on electrifying your Redfish, let me know)
    Last edited by tufnik; 08-06-2011, 04:42 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

August can be tough fishing with the hot water, but it is called fishing; not catching- Tufnik, I put pictures up on my loader and camera mounts today-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah, I met up with most of the Yakers at 5:00am in front of Anglers. From there we headed over to Matapeake for a 6:30am launch. The water was surprisingly good in the morning, considering the wind forecast was from anywhere from 7 to 15 mph from the South. Historically South winds normally screw up fishing for me for one reason or another. The water was fairly calm with rolling waves appearing after 8:30 am. The current started to really rip by 9:30am which caused most of us to call it a day and get back on land by 10:30am. I managed to catch 6 spot and 10 small rockfish. I even caught two at a time. Another kayaker, Doug, caught one croaker. I think Grady Black caught some small blues. It was nice to take advantage of the weather and to get on the water before the rain came later today. I used bloodworms and shrimp for bait. The fishing was hit or miss. Most of the fish, I found were in 15 to 22 feet of water straight out of the launch. The fish seemed to be in clusters. One area had fish and 20 feet away, that area had not takers. There was a fast drift which most likely lowered everyone's catch ratio. There were a total of 9 of us MD Kayak Fishermen for today's outing. Besides myself, Bassman27, Surfdog, Grady Black, Shield and his Wingman, Tufnik, Doug, and Medicyaker. It was a good group.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by moc; 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Hey, good to meet medicyaker, Bassman27 and Shield for the first time. (Bassman, if you want more info on electrifying your Redfish, let me know)
          Nice to meet you too, Tufnik. Did you call it a day or head over to Romancoke?
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

It was fun Martin, next time we'll hit Romancoke or someplace different.
            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

had a great time, not many fish but moc was suposed to get pix around the area for cbka. tide and wind working together realy made a fast drift, set out a 1.5 gal bucket to slow it down but with them working together it didnt slow me much. found must of my fish in 18-23' of h2o.

watching those guys working on their big boat at the ramp reminded me of how glad i am not having a boat any more

Comment

How big were the spot (inches)?

Comment

My spots were 6 to 9 inches.

Comment

Moc: Every time I see a picture of your decked out Revo I start thinking about getting one- that is one BAD toy you have-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X