Bay Bridge 8/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 8/5

Left work at 4 to make a 6 pm launch at the G Dock. As I was going across the Bridge I saw frettr00 heading out. When I finally got everything together and launched I found the water to be very choppy. I saw that the winds were supposed to be 10-15 SE, so I was kind of expecting some chop, but was hoping that it wouldnt be too bad.

I headed out and tried trolling a clark spoon along the pilings but no luck on that. I got out to one of the double sets of pilings on the westbound span and made a couple of casts. I was using a Pearl 6 inch hurricaine shad lure on a 3/4 oz bucktail jighead with spinner. On probably the 4th or 5th cast I hooked up with a fiesty 18 1/4 incher. In the box he went, the smaller ones taste better anyway. With one in the box already with only about 20 minutes of fishing, I was feeling pretty good despite the rough conditions.

I fished another hour or so with no luck and was about ready to call it. I met frettr00 out there and we talked for a few minutes about what we were using and how tough it was to hold position. By this time we were seeing 4-5 foot waves. frettr00 decided to head in and I decided to try some of the shallower pilings for Perch.

I got to one of the last sets of pilings with three pilings on the westbound span and started throwing a smelt color 3" gulp alive minnow on 1/4 oz jighead with spinner arm. I was expected to have bites right away but nothing. On one of my "last" casts I was bringing in the lure and it ended up under my kayak and I felt some pressure. I thought it was caught on my mirage drive, but then it started to pull back. So i set the hook and pulled up a nice 23 inch Striper in only 8 feet of water. I just love when a plan comes together.

My first Bay Bridge Striper limit:
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Looks like it worked out for you.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I've never fished in current that choppy before. In between pilings on the way back I had waves smacking me on both sides, was paddling but barely moving.
      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

It was pretty rough out there, at some points it felt like I was back at the CBBT.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice report....saturday was pretty choppy too when i went out.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
            X