Jonas Green Kayak Crabbing: 8/6/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green Kayak Crabbing: 8/6/11

Yesterday morning, Foursteps and I decided to hit up the Severn River for some crabs. We got up early and headed out to Jonas with traps & chicken necks. I passed Grady-Black on Rt 50 on the way out there

We got everything set up, and hit the beach around 5:30 or so. We used 15 traps, set up in varying depths of water. After setting up our traps, we decided to head back to our cars to get a rod & reel to toss some lures for perch. Before heading back out, I made a test cast from the beach. FISH ON! Caught a feisty 9 inch perch. Second cast...fish on! little baby perch. This lure was a killer..well until I lost it on a snag after a ht on the third cast

We went back out an ran our traps. Rinse- repeat. I got off the water at 7:45am, as I had to run over to MVA to get a new driver's license. Lost mine a couple days prior...flying out for work on Monday. That sucked. But luckily the Annapolis MVA is efficient and friendly, so I was in and out...back on the water by 9:15. Foursteps used the Torque while I was away.

After a while, we moved to another location across the river. We ended the day with around 20 crabs. Some of them were BIG....like 6.5". We caught a lot of crabs, just too bad many of them were small and/or females. I had one get loose in the kayak while trying to transfer it to the cooler. Luckily, it was focused on trying to swim away in the little bit of water near my transducer rather than trying to attack me.

It was a good day out there, and nice to come away with some decent crabs. I can't wait to go again. The Torque is perfectly suited for crabbing. We stacked 10+ traps in the rear well. You can run from trap to trap very efficiently assuming you don't overshoot your target, or run over the damn float line! I had to pull the motor three times to clear the prop after running over the line. We were on the water from around 5:30am to 12:30pm. I thik this was the longest I used the battery...and that was including a couple of cross-river tows.

Great day out there. We'll definitely be doing this again.
    <insert witty comment here>

Good work! What depth were you crabbing in? The last time I was out there I found that the bigger crabs were caught in 10-12' and when I had the traps in shallower I was getting mostly smalls and females.

You are right about the electric kayak being nice for crabbing. I am almost tempted to try running a trot line on mine. Next time you go out cut the small white perch that you catch in half and use them for bait, I don't even buy necks for crab bait anymore. Necks may last longer, but I think white perch work better, especially earlier and later in the crabbing season.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Funny you mention perch. We know all about that, and said we were gonna keep it as our secret lol. We figured this out st the choptank a couple weeks ago. We used it yesterday, successfully. A few slits in the side, and a few slices/punctures to the gut for a nice, slow chum release. Works every time.

We talked about trot lining too. I told foursteps that I wanna make one to run from the yak... We shall see!

Comment

What types of traps? square or triangle pull traps? or actually pots?

Comment

Regular square topless traps. Stack & go!

Comment

sorry I revealed your secret...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Lol it's no real secret. People use blues all the time. I dunno What depth we crabbed. Neither of us used our fish/depth finders. I'd say no more than 10' though, based on what I remember from dropping the traps

Comment

I've been wanting to do some crabbing out of my kayak for awhile, thanks for the report and tips!!!

Sounds like a fun day out there for sure. I think spot would make a great crab bait too, I was using spot strips yesterday for flounder and all I got were crabs! I didn't have a way of keeping them but some of them were monsters!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  Regular square topless traps. Stack & go!
                  That gives a different meaning to the concept of topless crabbing
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Any panfish works fine, but the spots are a little softer fleshed then perch and dont last as long...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      A few slits in the side, and a few slices/punctures to the gut for a nice, slow chum release. Works every time.
                      Slow chum release sounds awful....but that's ingenious! haha
                      Sun Fishin'

Comment

moc left 6 traps on the bottom at crab alley if you want to salvage them i need a good glove, got a sore finger from a little bastard that some how was double jointed and grabbed my finger, ouch i had to break its claw off to get it off my finger got some nice perch 1 was 12" and spot. the spawn must have been good we caught 2 of the smallest stripers ive ever seen at 1.5"

Comment

Man there were a ton of those micro stripers against the pylons of the choptank a few weeks ago!

Comment

Working...
                          X