BB 8/12 Afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 8/12 Afternoon

I plan to fish the Bay Bridge tomorrow afternoon with a launch time hopefully around 6pm. But I could change my mind and fish the Severn out of Jonas Green.

Anybody game for either?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I might be game, I was planning on fishing that morning at the BB but im off all day. Where are you launching from ?

Mike

Comment

If I decide to go to the Bay Bridge I will launch from Bay Bridge Marina G dock. As of now, the forecast is looking good for the bay bridge. I am really hoping to hit Striper, Blue and Perch, but it doesnt seem like the Blues are up in numbers quite yet. We'll see...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm planning to be out in the morning launching around 7am. I was out the other day and did ok, still have to put up a report but in waiting fir my cousin to send me the photos.

Comment

I am def game, but I will be launching a little earlier prob between 4 & 5 pm from G dock. I will be in a green trophy 144 with an electric motor on it. I have only fished the western pilings so Im not sure what pilings on the east side hold fish..

Comment

Originally posted by mikebcfd View Post
            I am def game, but I will be launching a little earlier prob between 4 & 5 pm from G dock. I will be in a green trophy 144 with an electric motor on it. I have only fished the western pilings so Im not sure what pilings on the east side hold fish..
            Start at 63a on the westbound span and work all the way to piling 48.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I made it to launch at 6pm. As soon as I was heading over the bridge I noticed that the water was dead. I got out there and pretty much no current until 8pm. I wasnt having much luck fishing so I decided to run the pilings looking for crabs. I was able to net 7 doublers off the pilings and had to throw back one because he was too small. I remember crabbing as a kid and the doublers were always monster crabs, nowadays you can find illegal sized doublers, crabs are definately not as big as they used to be!

Anyways, when I was running the pilings I saw a huge Striper just sitting next to one on the down current side near the top of the water. This guy had to be atleast 30" or more. I tried jigging by him, but no luck.

I met Jimbo out there and also got some good tips on fishing the eastbound pilings from Toadfinger, but no fish for me. I had one bite while talking to Jimbo, but missed it.

I also hit a piling with my motor and broke the pin that holds the rudder assembly (or motor assembly in my case). I had to limp back in without much control using motor and mirage drive. Luckily, this is only a three dollar part and its on its way from ACK. I ordered three because Ill probably break it again. It turns out that these pins are designed to break when the rudder assembly is bumped to hard to protect it from serious damage. I guess it worked correctly because my motor is fine.

Crabs for breakfast!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

There was good current up to about 11. Than it got calmer and calmer. The current was the ticket. I rolled out bc nothing was hitting, I thought the evening would be good but I guess sometimes the current doesn't start to roll until the last few hours of low tide. I have to see if there is anything predicting the strength of the current.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your damage.

Do you have a bass-Yaks kit on your Kayak or the Hobie Motor package?

Comment

see if this helps on prediction of current :

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/get...=230&footnote=

if the link's not working, you can find the predictions for current from the main page. remember current and tide are different. high or low tide is not equal to slack water at most locations.

Comment

Working...
                    X