Janes Island 8/12-13/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janes Island 8/12-13/2011

So I wasn't able to get a campsite for anywhere near OC for the weekend so I decided to hit Jane’s Island SP instead. I haven't been there for a couple years and forgot what a beautiful place it is. I fished an area called the Rock Hole and caught two croakers, two blues and a spot all on squid. The wind and tide were coming in so I got had a little trouble fishing that area. I found a sandbar that blocked half of the inlet from the Rock Hole and the Rock Pond. The current was flowing there real good so I pulled up on the bar and caught a short rock, a decent trout (came off just as I was reaching for him) and a short trout. Caught the rock by drifting a gulp crab on a 1/4 oz jig head. I moved into the Rock Pond and caught a keeper trout to add to my croakers. After circumnavigating the Rock Pond I headed back to the marina area. Figured I paddled about 7 miles before lunch.

after cleaning my fish, eating lunch and taking a nap, I hit the lower part of the island. I followed the main canal to the blue trail, which is a tidal creek about 30 feet wide. Got lots of hits on gulp swimming mullet but didn't catch anything till I downsized to half a gulp shrimp on a jig head. Then I caught a couple short trout. It was fun catching them in that little creek. Made me feel like I was fishing in Florida. Paddled about 3 miles till dark and called it a night.

Its almost 400 miles round trip so the Mrs. was happy we had a fish dinner last nite!
    Attached Files

Sounds like a cool trip, and nice work on the trout. I haven't eaten a speck in years, and all the good reports I've been seeing have made me nostalgic.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Janes I. is pretty cool. if you go straight across to the beach area the portage is short with wheels or just drag the yak to the front of the island in stead of going around. fishing is real good out front and dont have to fight the current

Comment

I've donethe portage to the beach the last time but there were a lot of other people around this weekend. They rent yaks so there are lots of tourist types that I wanted to stay away from.

Comment

Thanks for the report. That place looks very cool where is it located?

Comment

its right outside of Crisfield

Comment

Working...
            X