Pohick Snakeheading, to no avail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Snakeheading, to no avail

Went out to Pohick Bay Sunday after the thunderstorms cleared (around 5pm) with some new gear I bought for the occasion. Paddled left from the boat launch up into the thick vegetation (some kind of forest of aquatic plants) and started casting a few different snagless frog topwater lures (one was a popper) in various spots. Tried casting on top of thick vegetation, right next to thick vegetation, and in relatively open water. Tried retrieves that were medium constant speed, fast, very fast, and pause / retrieve.

Had no luck until right as the sun was going down, then had a follow RIGHT to my boat. Got a good look at the guy (big one) but he took off. Stayed out after dark and had two strikes, one right next to my boat. Wasn't able to hook them (the strike next to my boat, I wasn't really prepared for). Paddling around at night though I used my headlamp to look into the water and at one point they were EVERYWHERE... I probably saw 15 of them in 5 minutes in the water. Big ones. Needless to say, I'm heading back.

I need to figure out when the best time to get them is (tide and hour of day wise) and the best lures to use and the proper casting / retrieval techniques. Any wisdom would be appreciated

Punt
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

They come out and hunt at night? I may be game for some night fishing at Pohick

JJoley? Ron? Kanvery? What do you say?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

They definitely were out an hour or two after the sun went down. Seemed to quiet down a bit after that, but I think it was because of high tide. I came in at midnight and I was still hearing massive topwater strikes around me, so they were active, just not after my bait. Probably didn't help that it was overcast and low light. I bet on a full-ish moon cloudless night, they'd be all over it.

Seemed to get less shy about being above the weed beds once the sun went down, probably because the herons aren't hunting at night.

Comment

I know the guys around chain bridge hunt for them at night and do very well. Spears and nets, I think it's like spotlighting deer!
          Used to fish more.

Comment

When are you headed out next?! I'd love to go out with you. The fishing is almost always best an hour before sundown. One really nice spot is straight across the bay if the tide and wind are right. If not the direction you went is my preferred area. Those follows really are frustrating. I've found that if I'm getting a lot of follows I can usually get them to strike by casting to the same spot and retrieving even faster. There's also a few areas where I've noticed there are almost no fish except snakeheads. One note is that you need to grab an overnight boaters pass where you pay the launch fee and put it on your dash if you're going to be out late. It doesn't cost extra and just lets the rangers know you plan on being out after the marina closes. If the gate on the road is closed when you leave just call the number on the back. The ranger has no problem coming down to let you out or in. (I have yet to see it actually closed)
            www.anglerswithoutborders.com
            Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              They come out and hunt at night? I may be game for some night fishing at Pohick

JJoley? Ron? Kanvery? What do you say?
              IN! Let's plan something. Friday? Saturday night?

In the meantime, I'm gonna go tomorrow, Wednesday. I can get there about 5pm if anyone else is interested. High tide at 4:27PM...

Flyinyak,
              I've caught 3 this summer. All during daylight hours and all on different lures. When they want it there's no mistake. But, they are notorious followers. Many times will just nip at the tail of the lure. A floating crankbait with a treble on the tail might get these. (one of mine was on a small Rapala) The trouble with this is you're also catching weeds. I've also caught one on an unweighted swimbait. Lots of follows on that. Swim it on the surface. (not a bad option for LM bass bycatch! ) I've heard of some guys rigging a swimbait with a treble stinger hook. I've not tried that but makes sense. As for tides, seems to me the better bite is either side of high tide.

Jack, what say you?

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Comment

Snag Hook!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Oh man it looks like I'm going to be left out on this one - I'm heading to Smith Mountain Lake for a long weekend Wednesday night. I'll be back next week on Monday. Hopefully you guys have some luck out there - I'll look forward to hearing about it on here.

By the way, I was watching some youtube videos of snakehead fishing in Thailand, and MAN do they retrieve their topwater frogs fast... Like, almost skipping over the top of the water fast. I don't have a reel that could keep up at this point - but soon I'll have the Revo Inshore and hopefully that's up to the job.

Comment

I'm going out tomorrow afternoon but if anyone wants to go tonight I could entertain that idea as well.
                    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I was thinking about Slavens tomorrow. I am dying to try the popping bobber and minnow method. I got some of the popping bobbers. I'll set the trap tonight.

Has anyone tried the popping bobber and minnow yet?

Comment

Man I can't wait for them to get thick here in De and the eastern shore tribs. They have already been caught in the Nanticoke River, Marshy Hope Creek, and up in Broad Creek. I think it's funny how freaked out people get about them being an invasive species and how it will impact Largemouth Bass when Bass are invasive to the Chesapeake basin also. They have been in the Potomac for years and haven't hurt the bass population one iota. I have actually had bass spit up snakehead fry in my livewell last summer, so they contribute to the menue to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                          I was thinking about Slavens tomorrow. I am dying to try the popping bobber and minnow method. I got some of the popping bobbers. I'll set the trap tonight.

Has anyone tried the popping bobber and minnow yet?
                          I used big river minnows Saturday at Mattawoman Creek- all I caught were bass- no snakeheads- but it was different this time from other times I fished- I didn't see any snakeheads but heard them way back deep in the Lilly pads
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X