Five Species trip from Jonas Green 8/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Species trip from Jonas Green 8/21

Hit the water around 6 am in search of crabs and Perch. Got to my spot across the river and put out my five traps and started fishing. I fished for about 15-20 minutes and caught a couple of Perch. I checked my traps and caught 3 nices ones on the first pull. I kept up the same pattern of fishing 15-20 minutes and checking the traps and caught about twenty white perch 6-10.5 inches, a needlefish, a tiny mystery fish, and two baby stripers. The bite for the Perch was not fast but still pretty good. Crab total was 26 nice muddy crabs up to 6 3/4". This was my best Kayak crabbing trip yet.
    Here's a few pictures from the outing:
    One of the Baby Striper

Needlefish with jacked up mouth (he was like that when I caught him)

The days take home catch: 26 crabs and 14 white perch 9-10.5"

Somehow I ended up with this little guy on my jig. When I looked at it out on the water I was wondering if it could be a baby snakehead, so I brought it home. A little internet research leads me to believe its a Killifish of some sort. The little guy was about 1.5". Anybody else have any idea?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice job on catching 5 species. I have seen but not caught needlefish in the Severn. I think you are correct about the mystery fish. It looks like the common killifish (a species of Fundulus).
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice variety of species there. Sounds like a good use of time switching between crabbing and fishing.

I think the mystery fish is a naked goby:

http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/fish_inv...naked-goby.gif
      http://njscuba.net/biology/sw_fish_river.html#NakedGoby

The head isn't right for a killifish, and killifish only have 1 short dorsal fin. The fish in the pic has two. Gobies are fun to keep in a fish tank if you ever catch live ones in a minnow trap. They hang out around oyster shells or other hard debris (they love old soda cans) and are cool little predators on anything smaller than they are.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice haul on the crabs!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I made a slightly off target cast and pulled in my jig pretty fast and the needlefish nailed it. Needless to say I was pretty surprised. I think the naked goby id is the right one.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice work on the crabs and perch. They look good all lined up and ready to go in that cool looking sink.

I ran into a bunch of those baby stripers while looking for perch in a sheltered bay on the south river. Nothing like catching stripers so big you can release them through your scupper holes.

Comment

That good maybe the stripers had a good spawn. Nice work in the 5.

Comment

Working...
              X