Starrk Moon Kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starrk Moon Kayaks

I realize Starrk Moon is located in Pennsylvania but I made the trek from MD to Eastern PA for work yesterday, and couldnt get back to Annapolis in time to take the PA out for a dip, so I decided to search out a kayak dealer on my route back home. Landed at Starrk Moon, located in Delta PA. I've seen some of their online classified listings over the past few years, so I figured i'd stop by. They are located at the end of a gravel road, short distance from the bank of the Susquehanna River, website is www.starrkmoon.us The owner is a VERY interesting fellow, think 70s hipster white-water rapids extraordinaire. We talked about the West Virginia white-water practice center (I visited last summer) and he reminisced about his youth in 1995 when there was no foundation, and he was leading clinics of interested youth. Unfortunately he is no longer a Hobie dealer, so he didn't have any accessories I was specifically looking for. We talked briefly while another guy had loaded a Jackson (Big Tuna?) and another smaller yak, he is a dealer for FeelFree, Piranha, OP&H, and Venture Kayaks. He also had Perception and some LiquidLogic's along with various other yaks and even a wooden yak, not sure if they were trade-in or in for repair? His main focus for the SOT fishing platform is the FeelFree Lure series 11.5 & 13.5, which is the most popular seller. He had two of each of the 11.5 (Blue Camo & Pin Camo) and one 13.5 (Desert Camo), and also a BigFish 120, I didn't check the colour scheme. I personally know the FeelFree boats have significantly gained popularity over the past two years for their fore-front design, and price-point. He echoed that statement, saying he's heard FeelFree have outsold Wilderness 10:1 at recent boat/kayak shows. I do think the integrated rear wheel in the Lure is a game changer, as well as the moulded in handles for ease of handling. He spoke very highly of the Susquehanna Fishing Club (and I know some of you here are members) and thanked you for the revived tournament level fishing of the Susquehanna River.

He also has a lifesize Tyrannasourus Rex, so be prepared when you arrive...

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Brad is definitely a good guy, the shop is intresting,very helpful and usually has a few feelfree in stock at all times
    Snow Camo Lure 11.5
    Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
    Hummingbird Helix 5
    Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Starrk Moon has a reputation for offering some good deals on kayaks. Keeping with that theme, there are opportunities at other dealers too. Many small kayak dealers try to stock boats from a variety of manufacturers. They buy inventory based on what they think will sell -- sometimes they guess wrong or are misled by a clever salesman. It is not uncommon to find brand new name-brand kayaks in a shop that are one or more model years old. The dealer may no longer carry that brand of kayak, or the particular left-over kayak may have a scratch, or be a funny color, or simply be a model that is not in demand. In those instances, the dealers are often happy to move the kayak out of their inventory and will deal with you.

Since I am on Pro Staff for Native Watercraft, I check to see what Native boats may be in a dealer's inventory when I visit a shop. Two of my regular fishing buddies plus at least one other Snaggedline member have purchased brand new Native Ultimate kayaks that were from an earlier model year. In each case, they got a good deal. A few weeks ago I visited a local shop that used to carry Native kayaks and has since moved to other brands. I asked the man in the shop if he had any Native boats left in inventory. He told me that he had a new 2013 Ultimate 14.5 boat that they would sell at a very low price. Coincidentally, I had had a conversation with a fishing buddy just the day before about his desire to buy an Ultimate 14.5. I called him from the shop. He made them an offer lower than their already-low asking price, and they accepted.

If you are looking for a new (or new to you kayak) from a name-brand manufacturer, it pays to check around with local dealers. Sometimes you may get a pleasant surprise.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Well said
        Snow Camo Lure 11.5
        Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
        Hummingbird Helix 5
        Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

I love these kinds of posts (though I'd have put this in main forum) Ironically, I had just noticed the local of Starrk Moon after Lisa posted the Chesapeake launch link the other day.
          Somehow I always had it in my mind that the shop was on the other side of the river. I have driven close to the shop a dozen times on the way to duck hunting and river exploring on the Susky....I'll sure make a stop next time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Michael,

Looks like the T-Rex is the junkyard dog guarding the inventory.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Since I am on Pro Staff for Native Watercraft, I check to see what Native boats may be in a dealer's inventory when I visit a shop. Two of my regular fishing buddies plus at least one other Snaggedline member have purchased brand new Native Ultimate kayaks that were from an earlier model year. In each case, they got a good deal. A few weeks ago I visited a local shop that used to carry Native kayaks and has since moved to other brands. I asked the man in the shop if he had any Native boats left in inventory. He told me that he had a new 2013 Ultimate 14.5 boat that they would sell at a very low price. Coincidentally, I had had a conversation with a fishing buddy just the day before about his desire to buy an Ultimate 14.5. I called him from the shop. He made them an offer lower than their already-low asking price, and they accepted.

If you are looking for a new (or new to you kayak) from a name-brand manufacturer, it pays to check around with local dealers. Sometimes you may get a pleasant surprise.
            I'm one of the guys who benefitted from John's scouting trip.

Here's my new/demo Ultimate 14.5:

UB.jpg

I was happily surprised that the dealer took my offer. But it posed a storage problem for me. So with the money I saved on a great deal, I bought a steel kayak storage rack from ACK.com to efficiently hold my fleet in one half of my garage.

My Ultimates are on one side of the rack -- 12 on top, 14.5 on bottom:

Rack3.jpg

And my Revo is on the other:

Rack1.jpg

The rack works great. The boats are each off the floor and I can walk completely around them which gives me ample space for my rods and gear and my fly tying/lure-making table in my garage/man-cave.

I've yet to get the new Ultimate wet. But I've paddled the 14.5 a lot in FL. It's a great boat -- roomy, stable, tracks well and seaworthy. I love my Revo and the Mirage Drive, especially the 180 feature. But there are times when I prefer to paddle. The 14.5 will be my big water paddle boat. I'll continue to use the 12 in creeks and ponds.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's a good-looking Ultimate Mark, congrats!
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
              X