Avoided a skunk with a surprise 11th hour catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoided a skunk with a surprise 11th hour catch

I launched from Beechwood Park this morning to flat calm seas. I paddled upstream to fish at the spots where I have found yellow perch and/or pickerel in the past. I worked live minnows around the entire area and was unable to get a bite. Another kayak angler fishing near me had the same lack of success.

Yesterday I fished at several Eastern Shore freshwater locations (caught yellow perch, white perch, largemouth bass, and bluegill -- mostly on a 2" twistertail on a 1/8-oz jighead) and happened to find a Sebile 5" bull minnow crankbait caught up in some bushes. I don't own any lipped crankbaits and decided that I would test it out and troll it while paddling from my fishing spot back to the launch. The lure had a lot of side-to-side wobble.

2003-08-01 00-00-15.jpg

A few minutes after setting that lure out, I noticed that the rod was bent more than it had been before. I suspected it had dove to the bottom and picked up some debris. Even as I wound it back it, I felt almost no head shake. But as the weight neared my kayak, I spotted a large fish that had been snagged in the back. It was a gizzard shad (aka mud shad).

2003-08-01 00-00-45.jpg

Gizzard shad are large forage fish that are not carnivores or game fish. Nevertheless that catch allowed me to avoid a skunk during the final minutes or my outing and add a new species to my 2018 catch list (currently at 18 species so far). The shad was 16" to 18" long, but was not energetic like the hickory and American shad we can target in a few more weeks.

After the long cold winter, I am enjoying the spring-like weather this week.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Ha those shad seem to be everywhere right now. I've seen quite a few stories of people accidentally snagging them. They have been all over the fishfinder when I've been out from Armistead. Do you think the pickerel bite is on its way out with the warmer weather or has it just been slow all winter? I've yet to hit the Magothy or Severn this winter, but was thinking about heading out there in the first couple weeks of March.
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Thats a BIG shad, most i've seen are small 6-8"

Congrats on the non-skunk, tomorrow's weather is shaping up nicely too, wish I could join you.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

That is one big shad!

So you traded the scent of skunk for shad stink.
        Not a bad trade off!

Comment

That is a big mud shad. I caught one in January at CCNPP. It was about 14” long but not that girthy. I also snagged mine. You’re right about the fight. They are almost catatonic.
          Native Titan Propel 12
          Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
          Mercury 6hp
          Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
          Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

That is one big shad! It looks like a rugby ball :-)
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
            X