Jugs Bay/Upper Patuxent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jugs Bay/Upper Patuxent?

I was driving around with the family this weekend and drove over to check out some launch sites on Jug Bay and just below it. I have looked through this site and some others and have a general gist of the place.

I have some questions and was wondering if anyone could answer

Is there a shad run up that way? I love fishing for shad but the mob scene at fletchers is a drag.

There is a reliable YP and WP run?

How dependable are the rockfish up that way? I know there are better places for rock but it is such a pretty area it would be cool to hunt for rock down there.

Any comments or observation would be really appreciated. Thanks, Sam, alias "Wheaton Kayak"
    You gotta hook em to cook em
    Moken Lite 10'
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13'

While I’ve never fished it I don’t think rockfish would be in jug bay in any quantity. Very importantly, the Patuxent is closed to any rock fishing at all until June 1, including catch and release. By then the breeders have left the upper reaches so what you might find is a few small juvenile fish. Really I think anything above the Benedict bridge becomes more catfish and other freshwater species.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I can't answer all of your questions but I can tackle some.

YP: I wouldn't say it's hot, but they come through there, you just have to time it right. Usually by the time you hear they're there or Waysons, they're long gone.
      WP: This is Jug Bay's bread and butter. You won't have any issue catching them throughout the season. I've only fished for WP from the pier so I can't tell you any hot spots, but there's a nice hole north of the launch of Jackson's Landing as it's labeled on Google Maps. Right after the big sewer and old railroad tracks. Take your FF and you can't miss it. I'm sure they're there too.
      Rockfish: I have only caught dinks there. And dink might be a stretch. I wouldn't hedge any bets on catching them regularly there.

And as Big Mike said Catfish are definitely in there.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
        I can't answer all of your questions but I can tackle some.

YP: I wouldn't say it's hot, but they come through there, you just have to time it right. Usually by the time you hear they're there or Waysons, they're long gone.
        WP: This is Jug Bay's bread and butter. You won't have any issue catching them throughout the season. I've only fished for WP from the pier so I can't tell you any hot spots, but there's a nice hole north of the launch of Jackson's Landing as it's labeled on Google Maps. Right after the big sewer and old railroad tracks. Take your FF and you can't miss it. I'm sure they're there too.
        Rockfish: I have only caught dinks there. And dink might be a stretch. I wouldn't hedge any bets on catching them regularly there.

And as Big Mike said Catfish are definitely in there.
        You think the white perch are there now? I’ve been catching and releasing stripers but I’m ready to eat some of my catch!
        Native Titan Propel 12
        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp
        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I haven't been in a while. But usually March is when it starts. It can't hurt to get out there now. I haven't had success with high water there after big Spring rains though, so be mindful of that.

And if you're close, chat with the guys out at Waysons. You'll know when they're catching em up. LOL!

Comment

Close? Haha. I live near Deale. Jug Bay is a 7 min drive from my house.
            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Oh man! NICE! LOL Well yeah hit that bad boy up then! AHAHAHAHA

Comment

I’m fishing this all tomorrow, should have a good report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you trailer your kayak to any of the PG County Pax River launches
                  You need to buy a daily$5 or annual $25 permit.Good luck & tight lines.

Comment

Thanks , just throwing in the truck this time

Comment

Just got off the water at Jug Bay, water was 47 degrees, we fished during low tide, wind today was awful , we caught one fish...a random carp. The wind made it pretty terrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X