Washington dc waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington dc waters

Im looking to go out to the tidal basin this weekend for some blue cats with my buddy but he dont have a kayak so we would have to take my 12 ft jon boat out with a trolling motor only. Only want to get a little ways out from shore nothing crazy. Will a 12 ft jon boat be safe out there? Not sure how choppy or how bad the current is there. Thanks for reading.

Definitely not a good idea!
    You can't launch at the Tidal Basin and the open water of the Potomac in a 12 foot johnboat powered by a trolling motor is a very dangerous proposition!
    A much better choice would be launching at a more sheltered location like Slavin's on Mattawoman Creek.

Comment

Better question is why? It’d be much nicer to get outta that hell hole and fish some nicer/cleaner/more productive waters.
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Would you like to tell me place to catch 80 # blue cat

Comment

Ft Washington Marina, on the Piscataway, has a good launch and safe harbor. The deep channel hugs the Ft side of the river and just inside the creek is a nice cove.ft washington.jpg
          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

not sure how heavy a jon boat is, but i've seen them in beds of trucks, so they can't be horrible. Big cats in Fletchers in DC. May be able to carry to the water from the far end of their parking lot. I do that with my 83 pound kayak.

OR you could launch from gravelly point and motor over, but on a trolling motor, that may be a bad idea.

OR hit the basin on foot. It's quite fishable and walkable on foot, especially with conventional gear. There are guys out there all the time fishing for large cats. If you don't mind every tourist asking what you are fishing for, it can be kinda cool to fish under the nose of MLK and other monuments.

Gregg
            2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

I see some big cats come out of Haines Point from shoreline fishermen (friends of mine) but I'd think you'll need a DC fishing license...
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Just watch the weather and wind, and becareful. Its doable. Early season would be better than later on once the joy riders fill the channel it gets pretty sloppy out there. South or north blowing wind will create rollers. I have seen small boats like that out around dc. Just becareful on where you go and how far thats all.
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

2 guys and 80 lb cats in a 12 ft Jon boat with a trolling engine in very cold waters .......... very bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
                    Ft Washington Marina, on the Piscataway, has a good launch and safe harbor. The deep channel hugs the Ft side of the river and just inside the creek is a nice cove.[ATTACH=CONFIG]23070[/ATTACH]
                    +1
                    but id fish the shallows(5'-16') adjacent to the deep water
                    anchor or tie up right next to shore and cast to to that area

As to the safett of a 12 ft jonboat.....not all jonboats are created equal. If it is a narrow lowsided flatbottomed craft, I'd be wary. If a a broad (and wider at back than front) well sided...maybe. if your load is more than 65% of the limit....i'd be hesitant. If it is v-bottomed,well sided boat hugging tge shore from marina to Ft? Why not? Weather permitting.

i agree you could have some safe fun on Mattawoman

Oh...and no 80# cats. lol. but you could get some nice ones in that area near ft wash.
                    Last edited by kevinfry; 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

+1 on the Ft Washington “secret” catfish spot.

Drop anchor closer to the lighthouse and just outside casting distance from the guys on shore. Soak a bait/chum the water for about 20min and the big gals will come.

Caution: The main river boat channel comes very close to the lighthouse. The wake generated from large powerboats will have you bobbing like a cork.
                      If you can go on a weekday, you will avoid the large amount of boat traffic that traverses the main stem of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by baitball; 03-09-2018, 04:24 AM.
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I don't have all the details of this thread... but do keep in mind that trailers are not allowed in Fetchers, only car tops. And cars with boats/kayaks/canoes on top have to fit through this tunnel. It has about 84" of clearance if you stay centered.

Troll Tunnel.jpg
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Yep, my lifted truck is not fitting thru that 7' clearance tunnel
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                            I don't have all the details of this thread... but do keep in mind that trailers are not allowed in Fetchers, only car tops. And cars with boats/kayaks/canoes on top have to fit through this tunnel. It has about 84" of clearance if you stay centered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23084[/ATTACH]
                            I have my method down at fletcher's. I always bring another person, unload in the lot before the tunnel, put my boat on the cart, sit in the back of the suv holding the kayak and have the other person drive slowly through the tunnel. I've been tempted to try and rig up something so I can do it solo, but if the kayak comes off the cart near the tunnel, you're going to block traffic both ways.
                            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                            X